Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to Do ... ? >

How to Do ... ?

How to Do ... ?

Old 08-26-2019, 10:02 AM

Default How to Do ... ?

I love how colourful this quilt is -

[ATTACH=CONFIG]616656[/ATTACH]

... and have worked out from the given fabric requirements (no instructions) that the coloured background is halved 5 inch (charm) squares.

Would you sew the squares together first then cut the strip in half or cut the charms in half first then sew the short ends together?

Although It would be more work I think cutting the squares first would be better as the seam would be less likely to pull apart.

What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails 6b3e4a77-797a-4126-946a-bb91b89086f7.jpeg  
Old 08-26-2019, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

I would definitely cut first. In addition to the possibility of pulling your seams apart, you can better control where you want certain fabrics to fall so you don't end up with the same fabric next to each other where the vertical meets the horizontal. It also looks like some of the pieces in the sashing are not the full 5" length.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:21 AM

What a fun fast project. If I understand, first I would separate out my whole squares and put them aside. Then I would cut my sashing rectangles from the remaining squares.

I would put the rectangles together along the short sides making the full horizontal rows of sashing. In your picture that is 11 rectangles long. Then I'd piece the remaining rectangles into 3-5 pieces at a time cutting them to the proper block height. You can do it in a loop even, but you only want to do about half the pieces that way. Then you take the left over trimmings and add them into mix so the fabrics are slightly offset. At least that's how I would do it, you don't want too many seams per sashing bar because you only have so much fabric.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:29 AM
Power Poster

I would do each unit separately.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:40 AM

That is a fun and colorful quilt!

It looks like the pieces are random as I don't see any repeat combinations of fabrics in the strips. You could still strip piece the 5 inch charms and cut in half.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
That is a fun and colorful quilt!

It looks like the pieces are random as I don't see any repeat combinations of fabrics in the strips. You could still strip piece the 5 inch charms and cut in half.
The original fabric requirements were 105 charm squares. As there are only 30 whole squares in the quilt I guessed the other 75 were used for the strips. But as you suggest any contrasting random fabric could be used and would certainly save cutting up charms!
Old 08-26-2019, 05:18 PM

I love this! Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:37 PM
Power Poster

It is very pretty.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:19 PM

What a beautiful colorful quilt! I love it!!
Old 08-27-2019, 06:48 AM

I have a whole bunch of charms that I haven't been inspired to do anything with. This looks like something that would be satisfying and very pretty. A person could stick with one color way, or a mix of ...say blues or reds...to make it coordinate with a room.
To the OP, are all the charms you are going to be using out of the same charm pack, or have you chosen several different ones?
Does anyone recognize this fabric collection?