Rag quilt inquiry >

Rag quilt inquiry

Rag quilt inquiry

Old 09-02-2019, 10:35 PM

Default Rag quilt inquiry

Can you “rag” both sides of quilt?
Old 09-03-2019, 02:34 AM
Power Poster

I think it would take some creative sewing, but imagine it could be done. The ragging is done in the seam allowances that appear on the outside instead of between the layers. The 'back' side usually does not have the seam allowances showing. Of course, you could make it a double sided quilt but it would be very thick and heavy.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:34 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from western NY and happy quilting
Old 09-03-2019, 04:14 AM

No, I don't think it is possible to rag in on two sides at the same time because of the way it is sewn together-two or three layers of flannel to another square just like it. This is going to make all of the seams face one direction. Then, you sew the rows together with the seams on the same side. However, If you used smaller squares and reversed alternate ones, you would have seams on both sides to clip. I think this is possible but I think it would be difficult.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:29 AM

Welcome to the QB from SE Michigan! I am trying to envision how you would do a 2 sided rag quilt. Lining up both sides so the seam would match would take planning from the start and would be so difficult to align. If you do try your hand at this I would love to see your finished quilt. Happy quilting.
Old 09-03-2019, 01:31 PM
Power Poster

Welcome to this board.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:16 PM

I’m going to preface this by saying this is just me “thinking out loud.” What if, when assembling the rows, instead of stacking blocks WST and sewing a half inch seam, you laid them right sides up, side by side and overlapped them an inch? You could pin them this way and sew the seam at a half inch. In my mind I see this allowing for ragging on both sides of the quilt.

Last edited by MicheleC; 09-03-2019 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 09-03-2019, 05:20 PM
Power Poster

Yes and it's easy to do. instead of sewing the two blocks together, over lap each block 1/4 - 1/2 inch wider then the rag will be and then sew it with each overlap on both sides of the seam. Do the same with each row, overlap both edges. You have an edge on the front and the back. It was how I made my first rag quilt using real denim from used Levi jeans using instructions from an old Farmer's magazine my grandmother use to get. That quilt is decades old in fact almost fifty five years old. I used heavy thread in my grandmother's treadle machine. The quilt is at my daughter's house last time I saw it.
Old 09-03-2019, 05:56 PM

I just can't wrap my head around that concept.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:10 PM

So I have been thinking about your idea.

First concern is that the lumpy side of a rag quilt is not comfortable. That is why the smooth side is down, or against the body. If you somehow double the fabric it will be incredibly heavy and take forever to dry.

But if you really want ragged edges on both sides, you can sew long rows together instead of squares. Then alternate sewing the seams one way then the other. You would wind up with alternating ragged rows on both sides.