Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Border Question >

Border Question

Border Question

Old 09-04-2019, 04:54 PM

Default Border Question

I am finishing up my first quilting class which is a Christmas sampler. I want to put 3 border strips around the quilt. If you are using 3 border strips, what size would you make each strip? Thanks, I am new and can use all the help I can get. But...I am loving quilting!! I just wish the quilting police would leave my head and move away.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:00 PM

Well... there is no single answer and so many questions!

I usually use some measurement from my block as a guideline, depending on the size of the project and how I decide to quilt it, I usually want at least 6" total in my border -- but obviously that is almost all of a preemie quilt and on a king sized project 6" can look wimpy.

Do you want to show off some quilting in the border or do you just want to frame the top?

So what size are your blocks? Do you have any sashing? Could you possibly post a picture here?
Old 09-04-2019, 05:40 PM

Thank you Iceblossom for your reply. The ornament blocks are 12 1/2 inches plus the ornament top. The chains are 12 1/2 inches. When I put the blocks together I will add a strip of white at the bottom where there are only 2 ornament blocks to make it all match. I am going to "try" to include a picture of the blocks that I laid out.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]617044[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails quilt.jpg  
Old 09-04-2019, 06:56 PM
Power Poster

that is lovely!!! some measurements depend on how large you want and how it will look. try laying fabrics out folded to the size you are thinking and look at that awhile.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
that is lovely!!! some measurements depend on how large you want and how it will look. try laying fabrics out folded to the size you are thinking and look at that awhile.
Agreed! This is a gorgeous quilt! I would use a red border (same red fabric used in blocks). As for size, a border that’s 1/3 the width of a block is eye-pleasing. Start with 4” folded , stand back, take a pic, maybe try 5” on the other edge. You’ll know it’s right when you get a settled feeling ; there are no hard-and fast rules.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:16 PM

Oh that is charming! I'm so impressed what can be done with sampler blocks -- all I can say is it doesn't come easy to me. So the next set of questions is tucked in or not? That bed or not?

I'd probably add an additional band of that ending fabric around the whole thing, and then I like the look of that reddish band on the ornament for a border either that size or a little larger and make little bows with triangles periodically. A ribbon border would also be nice if you have more of the background fabric.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:17 PM

I love your blocks. This will be a pretty quilt.

As for me, I would use a small black border strip, maybe 2" finished or 3" to stop the action in the center. Then maybe the same size in the background fabric. Then maybe a 6 to 8 inch finished of one of the reds for the outside border.

Like someone said up above.... Lay your first border fabric lengthwise down the side. Leave the size you want showing, then lay the next color of top of it. Then lay your final border fabric. Take pictures of what you have designed. I don't know why but seeing it in the smaller version really helps see if it is going to work. Make any adjustments until you like it. Then, start cutting your border pieces.

You layout is 5x5 which equals 60x60 inches finished as it is. Measurements when adding the borders would be
60" Wide with just blocks
6" - for the 2(each edge) x 3 inch borders
6" - for the next 2 x 3 inch borders
12 - for the last 2 x 6 inch borders
84" will be your finished quilt and it will be a square.

That's a fairly big quilt. This page gives you some ideas what sizes are normally made. https://suzyquilts.com/quilt-sizes-chart/ There is nothing that says yours has to be any of these sizes. Quilting is one of those things where you get to make the choices.

If you want, sew your blocks together, then start laying out your borders and show us pictures. We are more than happy to give our opinion, but it is "your" quilt. You have the final choice. There is no right or wrong.

Edited to add. You might want to start with maybe a 2" background border to float all your blocks, then go to a different color, either black or red, or whatever you want to try. I've made quilts with 4 borders and loved them. And some with only 2 and they were fine. Have fun!!!!

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 09-04-2019 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-05-2019, 05:21 AM

You have had plenty of good advice on borders, so just want to say your quilt is really lovely and can't wait to see you post the finished quilt. You did a great job.
Old 09-05-2019, 05:41 AM

I don’t have any border size suggestions but wanted to say lovely blocks!
Old 09-05-2019, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

Great blocks! When adding borders I consider how big I want my quilt to be and I usually base my border strips on measurements taken from inside the quilt. It looks like you have 2 and 4 inch squares in the chain blocks so I might do a 2 inch, 3 inch, 4 inch triple border. When adding multiple borders, it is best to sew the borders together before adding them to the quilt. If you sew the borders on one at a time, you may get waves in the borders as each extra border stretches the last edge a bit. You also need to decide if you want to miter your 3 strip border or use corner stones in each corner which is easier.