Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Surprisingly gifted a used but like new Tiara II >

Surprisingly gifted a used but like new Tiara II

Surprisingly gifted a used but like new Tiara II

Old 09-05-2019, 10:48 AM

Default Surprisingly gifted a used but like new Tiara II

I have only played with it once and need to get the tension perfected, but so far it seems pretty easy to use. Is there a particular brand and weight of thread that is recommended? And, any suggestions on how to perfect the tension - does it have to do with the speed you set and how fast you move the quilt through? (Can you tell I'm a beginner?) Any advice or suggestions appreciated. TIA
Old 09-05-2019, 10:57 AM

Can't answer your question, only envy your gift! Have fun!
Old 09-05-2019, 11:04 AM
Power Poster

Not familiar with the Tiara but Handiquilter makes all the Babylock midarms and longarms. Tension setting will be a constant variable for you, even from bobbin to bobbin. You get used to it and also used to tweaking tension. So many things impact it from type of thread to how tight the bobbin is wound to batting and even fabric. It seems a bit daunting at first but you will soon get used to checking tension constantly and tweaking it often. You may want to invest in a Towa tension guage for your bobbin.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:34 AM

What a wonderful gift! There are a lot of YouTube videos about tension for long arms. Check out HandiQuilter and Jamie Wallen. I found them helpful for my Sweet Sixteen which I understand is very similar to the Tiara. Most important, practice, practice, practice and have fun.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:16 PM

Helen Godden has some good videos on tension for the sitdown machines too.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:22 AM

Wow! What a gift!

I have a Tiara and it will quilt through anything with any thread, so far.

Some things I learned...You may already know these, of course....

There is a Jamie Wallen video on how to set your tension...you always set the bobbin first and adjust the upper tension to it. You also have to turn the upper tension more than on a domestic...1/4 to 1/2 a turn at a time to get any change happening.

The main thing with these machines is to keep them oiled as they are industrial machines and should be oiled at every bobbin change. Jamie Wallen also has a video for that!

When you change thread, don't take your thread out, but snip it close to the spool and tie your new thread onto the old and gently pull it through to the needle.

Do you know how to bring up your bobbin thread at the end of your project? That was confusing for me. If not, let me know and I'll try to find a video of it.

Did it come with an overlay? You really need an overlay to use rulers, if you were planning to do that.

HandQuilter has lots of videos on their Sweet Sixteen, which is the same machine, so take a look at those.

When I started, I had my speed set to about 18...as I got more confident I have been able to increase my speed. It 's important that whatever speed you are comfortable with you can put your foot all the way down on the pedal so that you don't have to worry about your foot, only your hand speed. So, play with it, find a speed that works for your hands and foot pedal and then set your foot pedal speed to that.

Always bring up your thread at the beginning or you'll get a mess on the back.

Always have a quilt sandwich nearby that you can check your tension on before you start a project. You can also use this to sew a bit on after you've oiled the machine so that if there is any stray oil on the needle it doesn't get on your project.

I've used everything from Decobob which is a very fine 80 weight to King Tut which is a heavier 40 weight in both top and bottom and mixed them and have never had a problem. I've also used clear thread with cotton 40 weight in the bobbin, as well. It's all about getting the bobbin tension right.

Watson

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-20-2019 at 03:29 AM.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:23 AM

Here is the second video about oiling the hook area....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNH06ILNPpU&t=28s Watson
Old 09-06-2019, 05:40 AM

I use Signature 40 weight thread with my Tiara, and have never had any problems. This is the thread my dealer recommended.
Old 09-06-2019, 01:31 PM

I have a Sweet16 which is the same thing as the Tiara. I have used it with all kinds of thread ranging from 100 wt. Invisifil by Wonderfil, metallics by a variety of manufacturers, King Tut 40wt.cotton, Isacord Poly, Wonderfil's 12wt. Spaghetti, etc. I've not had any problems with any of them. The main thing is to get your bobbin tension correct and then adjust the upper as needed for the piece you are quilting.

And always check your tension using the same combination of threads, fabric and batting sandwich as the piece you are going to be quilting.

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 09-06-2019 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-06-2019, 05:15 PM

There is a Babylock Tiara Group on Facebook that I've found very helpful. I use Connecting Threads cotton thread and its polyester quilting thread with no problems.