Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fall Wall Hanging questions. Thread painting?? >

Fall Wall Hanging questions. Thread painting??

Fall Wall Hanging questions. Thread painting??

Old 09-06-2019, 07:40 AM

Default Fall Wall Hanging questions. Thread painting??

I purchased this panel a couple years ago to use on my front door. I want to do something more with it but can't decide. I could do a trapunto effect on portions ... but for some reason I'm drawn to doing some thread painting which I've never done. I watched a couple of videos but they were only using black thread on white fabric to show how to move in different directions for different effects.

Would love to hear other ideas of what to do with this panel ... or any videos/tutorials on colorful thread painting you may have used. My ideas often out weigh my skills but I'm willing to learn.

Thank you!
Sharon

[ATTACH=CONFIG]617103[/ATTACH]

I've tried to rotate this but it just isn't working.
Attached Thumbnails fall-wall-hanging.jpg   fall-wall-hanging.jpg  
Old 09-06-2019, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

Do both! I did almost thread painting trapunto on this piece and it worked well.
Blue Heron wall hanging

I included in process pics to show the cut away batting with all the thread play on top before relayering the quilt and doing the rest of the "traditional" quilting.

I have also done this same treatment on these:
Toni Whitney Blue Heron wallhanging

Quan Yin - A show quilt
Old 09-06-2019, 08:00 AM

Feline fanatic for your bating do you use cotton batting or are you using wool to make your trapunto effect?
Old 09-06-2019, 08:07 AM

! You are such an artist. I dream of being half that good ... someday. Ha. I'm simply amazed. I'm going to be looking for more thread painting tutorials this afternoon. My biggest problem will to get over my "fear" of trying this and ruining the piece ... but that's the only way I'll learn. Thanks so much for sharing your photos.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-06-2019 at 09:32 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 09-06-2019, 08:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Queenbarbiej View Post
Feline fanatic for your bating do you use cotton batting or are you using wool to make your trapunto effect?
Both. The first blue heron was cotton, the Toni Whitney Blue Heron and Quan Yin I used wool for the tapunto portion. After cutting away the excess batting from the trapuntoed part, I double batted again. On the first heron it was wool over 80/20 and on the other heron it was wool over W&N cotton and Quan Yin was wool over wool.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 09-06-2019 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-06-2019, 01:53 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Thread painting is a lot of fun, though I have nowhere close to FF’s skills. Using very narrow zigzag covers a multitude of sins, and a wash away stabilizer helps. Do both, it’s all about playing with the panel.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:03 AM

So here's what I'm "thinking" of doing on this wall hanging.

1) Trapunto the face. Thread paint the eyes and nose ... maybe the mouth to give more dimension to the face. Thread paint the straw hair, as well as all the other areas of straw.

2) Trapunto the pumpkins, apples and corn at bottom. I guess on the corn, I should stitch on each side of the green husk and stitch the lines shown on the pumpkins.

3) Thread paint most or all of the flowers and leaves around the flowers.

4) Not sure if I should also trapunto the shirt area and the falling leaves at the top or leave them alone.

Does this sound reasonable? I'm open to suggestions. This is so industrious that I may never get it finished.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]617132[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails fall-wall-hanging-1.jpg  
Old 09-07-2019, 06:05 AM

Most of the time when I am doing a panel, I will (free motion) follow the objects on the panel.

For example, quilt around the hulls of the corn, then you can do small squares following the lines of the kernels. Also around the outside of the pumpkin and then around the stem and down (on) the sections....etc. etc. etc. Turns out very cute.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:16 AM

I forgot to say, panels are a great learning tool for free motion quilting. You can’t go wrong by following the lines of the picture. You can get the feel for the speed you need for your foot peal and hands and you are not having to think about the quilting pattern itself. I hope you will repost when you decide what you are going to do and have it finished.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:55 AM

I agree with SharonQuilts....I did the panel last year and outlined features pumpkins and flowers .Put backing batting and binding on it with a hanging sleeve.I don't have it anymore so can't show it but have never sent pics so don't know if I could anyway!