Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • marshals dry goods muslin 2nds. >
  • marshals dry goods muslin 2nds.

• marshals dry goods muslin 2nds.

Old 09-17-2019, 11:14 AM

Default marshals dry goods muslin 2nds.

I saw on the marshals dry goods website musline seconds by the bolt. Naturally, the price was cheaper. Has anyone tried using these and if so how were they. Will be using it for quilts backs.
    Old 09-17-2019, 11:44 AM
    Power Poster

I would assume any fabric marked seconds might have flaws in it. If it was still good quality, I might appliqué like motifs scattered around on the back to cover the flaws or if there was a line down the fabric, I would piece in a strip of another fabric as a back accent.
    Old 09-17-2019, 12:01 PM

Their seconds do have flaws. I ordered their 2nd's on broadcloth. Most of it was pretty good. For me the flaws aren't a problem.
    Old 09-17-2019, 01:07 PM
    Power Poster

Sometimes it has dirty marks from the bolt wrapping machine. Most flaws I have seen are a few inches that has to be cut out every few yards or so. I use it for foundation piecing and craft projects.
    Old 09-17-2019, 02:24 PM

Same here no problem with the flaws. Have both muslin n broadcloth
    Old 09-18-2019, 06:03 AM

I use this muslin for string piecing foundation. Or for testing deco stitches on my machine & getting tension correct. Double it to add the needed weight. Prob would not use it for backing as it is a little light weight for me.
    Old 09-18-2019, 06:23 AM

I buy seconds (when I am buying fabrics) often. I don't have a problem when doing patchwork to cut around or away a flaw. I have purchased a bolt of 120" bleached muslin that had something like a sun bleached edge or stored where the dust and sun got to the outer edges. It was 75% off. I use it for a number of things. I just prepared 3 yard, cutting away from the damaged area, for dying this fabric. It will be great for this purpose. I may not be able to use if for a backing but it is great for foundation blocks.
    Old 09-18-2019, 10:06 AM

I've also bought seconds, some are better than others. I have no direct experience with Marshal's or how they grade things. With muslin I'd look for "slubs" (the big bits of thread), sometimes you get one of those huge Frankenstein seams of two pieces of fabric, other times there may be some sort of damage from all sorts of things, water staining or grease for example. In print fabrics sometimes the print registrations are off or one is missing or something that may or may not be very noticeable. Sometimes that goes through the entire bolt, other times it's just a portion of the yardage.

Sometimes I have never been able to figure what the problem was...

A recent piece I got at the thrift store has some sort of black ink flecks on the off-white tone-on-tone fabric. Not a lot, no pattern I can discern. Since I know they are in there I can cut around them but would not be happy using large pieces.
    Old 09-18-2019, 04:30 PM

My goal was to use these 2nd's for quilt backings and curtain panels. I'm thinking it won't work well, because I need such big pieces. However, part of me is still contemplating trying one bolt. They are sold by the bolt. Will be checking to see what other's have to say about this as well.
    Old 09-19-2019, 03:07 AM

Would the manufacturer respond to your question to let you know why the bolts are being sold as 2nds? Depending on the severity of the problem and how big your quilt backs would be, perhaps this would work for selective charity quilts that you wouldn't mind a few "innocent" things on the backing.