Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Truth Behind Sewing Machines: Reality On True Sewing Machine Features 4 Quilt/Sew >

The Truth Behind Sewing Machines: Reality On True Sewing Machine Features 4 Quilt/Sew

The Truth Behind Sewing Machines: Reality On True Sewing Machine Features 4 Quilt/Sew

Old 09-22-2019, 08:34 PM

I have 6 machines--a 2006 Gammill LA, a Consew industrial beast (probably made in the 50's); a Singer threadle; a Deluxe older model non-computerized; an Elna 7300 (computerized) and a Brother Simplicity (computerized--this one is cheaper and lightweight). I like being able to do much of the maintenance on my Gammill & Consew; am still rehabbing my treadle; keep my Deluxe basically for sentimental reasons as it's my first machine (I do occasionally sew on it--nice stitches but miss some features and the harp is so small!). Most of my sewing is on the Elna, or the Brother goes to classes & retreats. I love the computerized machines--the needle up/down feature, the lock stitch, the ability to drop feed dogs, the walking and hopping feet; the needle threader. The Elna has gotten lots of use over the 9+ yrs I've owned it without problems. Would not go back to doing my daily piecing on a non-computerized as I love the needle up/down feature and ability to switch to other stitches without using cams, etc.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:04 AM

You are right about the straight stitch being the one used the most.
As far as dreaming of a different machine, don't overlook shopping for a used machine. I love old vintage machines, and I love features of newer machines. I piece quilt tops on a Singer 301A, sometimes on my Featherweight, and I've recently done one on a hand crank machine. I found a slightly used Sweet 16 mid arm for doing my quilting, and recently lucked onto a slightly used Brother embroidery/sewing machine for doing my quilt labels. Love the options of all of them, and have not regretted buying any of them!
Old 09-23-2019, 03:26 AM

I have 26 machines, most are at least vintage if not antique, one is computerized. I do enjoy the needle up/down and on the occasional label, I use the embroidery capabilities, but I got it for the throat space not for those features. It's going on 11 years old, used almost daily, serviced professionally once a year, I clean the bobbin area after every 4 bobbins, have never had a problem with it. Most of the time I use the straight stitch.

Last edited by pocoellie; 09-23-2019 at 03:29 AM.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:20 AM

My sewing world travels a different path. I returned to the sewing world about 5 years ago and learned there were machines that could embroidery too! Who knew?

I sew or embroidery something every day...every day. It makes me happy!

Another new machine-embroidery and sewing-came home last week. I want and will use those special features. Part of the fun is learning new techniques.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:31 AM

I've spent lots of money on my Bernina 880 and 530 that have different levels of bells and whistles and I love them both. Yes, the straight stitch is the most common use, I've never done a buttonhole on either ( I loathe doing buttonholes) or a zipper. However, I use an awful lot of the fancy stitches when I quilt. I guess I'm not really a traditional quilter.....I'm on the quirky side and the quilts I give to friends and family reflect that. I have no problem using a cross stitch looking stitch instead of a straight stitch when I stitch in the ditch. I've had inexpensive less computerized machines fail because of a mechanical issue. I've only rarely had any computer controlled gadget fail because of an electronic failure.
One thing I'm sure of.....if I want to learn a new technique, my machine will not hold me back, and I'll not need to buy a better machine to do it.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:00 AM
Power Poster

Everyone in my sewing group has the new top of the line machines ranging from $ 9000 to the new $20,000 one. I have noticed that they spend more time programming the machine then actually sewing. The upgrades very expensive for these new machines. The last one was $700 and the machine is about a year old. They bought them for the embroidery but will never embroidery enough. I have sewn on theirs and it doesn't excite me enough to say I want one. I love some of the new features but know I won't use them that much in most of my sewing.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:04 AM

I tend to pick up vintage machines that were built to last literally several lifetimes. The last new machine I purchased was a cheap embroidery machine at Walmart knowing all to well it was not designed to last forever but would do the job I had in mind for it. I worked it to death and then when it did need a bit of repair and tune up I did it myself and saved a great deal of money. I ordered the part I needed and installed it myself. It continues to be my "take to classes" machine. I cannot conceive spending thousands for a DSM when I can put that same money into a used LA machine that will serve me for many more years. You are so right about looking at what you really need in a DSM first and not letting the bells and whistles influence your decision.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:53 AM

I enjoy having both. I recently delved into the world of vintage machines, and have thoroughly enjoyed bringing them back to life by a simple cleaning and oiling. They sew beautifully. I also have two computerized machines, that I also love, but spent only about $1,000 on each of them (one being a used one) Then of course I have a couple of cheapies, which so far work fine, but have had very limited use.

Being quilters, we do not have the need for button holes, blind hems, etc. for the most part. Being a frugal soal, I can not justify spending several thousands of dollars on a machine (though I am sure I would enjoy one immensely)
But just like cars, I can't afford the cost or repairs of an expensive car. Just give me a reliable, good gas model car that is respectible looking and gets me from point to point B, and I will be satisfied.

But kudoes to all of you that have these wonderful machines. I am sure if money were no object, I would be right there with you. (along with my vintage machines)
Old 09-23-2019, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Schill93 View Post
Being quilters, we do not have the need for button holes
Apparently you've never seen the buttonhole stitch for applique?

Originally Posted by Schill93 View Post
Being a frugal soul, I can not justify spending several thousands of dollars on a machine
I own 8 very good machines and have never spent more than $400, other than my longarm. There are bargains to be had if you do your research, put the word out to friends and local quilt shops, are patient and ready with cash when opportunity strikes.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:37 PM

I started out sewing on my Grandma's Treadle Singer....Then a New Home manualy, then Janomes. Been with computerized Janomes ever since. Love the time saving features, automatic thread cutter, up/down needle, decorative stitches, embroidering capabilities, large throat space, buttonhole maker, quilting features...love everything about a computerized machine. I do have a feather weight Singer....but use it much. The quality of stitches are so good on most computerized machines, and now some of the machines come with software, where you can create your own decorative stitches and the embroidery machines..the designs are limitless. I don't buy the "in betweens", the machines that come out a few months after a new model enters the market....sometimes I will skip several years and watch what is changing before buying a new Janome. I am so glad I skipped the 7700. Lots of trouble with that one....some folks got great machines, but lots did not. I have two 6600's real workhorses. Also have the 15,000 and Skyline 7. I don't plan to buy another for a while.