Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Measuring fabric before and after washing it >

Measuring fabric before and after washing it

Measuring fabric before and after washing it

Old 09-22-2019, 07:51 PM
Power Poster

Default Measuring fabric before and after washing it

I am definitely in the "if it's washable, wash it before cutting it" group. I want to wash the thread, too, but that has not seemed feasible!

Anyway, I have measured hundreds of pieces of fabric before and after washing. I was wondering if there actually was shrinkage - because a couple of pieces of cat print fabric were about 37 inches at the time I bought them - and were only 35 inches long when I wanted to sell them!

What I have found:

Most of the cotton woven fabrics shrink
Usually the shrinkage is in only one direction - I am unable to predict ahead of time which direction it will be
Brand name does not seem to matter - I have had shrinkage (and bleeding) from every line - including ones that I had "assumed" would be "better"
I have had shrinkage up to 2.5 inches in width on a 42 inch Michael Miller black (from three or four different bolts)
Even a Roc-Lon "pre-shrunk" muslin shrunk about two inches in length per yard when I washed it! That did surprise me.

It matters enough to me to bother with the soaking in hot water, then washing gently and drying "until done" before cutting the fabric.
Old 09-23-2019, 02:36 AM
Power Poster

these are the reasons I wash also. I used to wash general sewing fabrics, too, but don't do much general sewing anymore
Old 09-23-2019, 03:22 AM

I pre-washed 5.25 yards of backing for my current project. The edges were serged first and then trimmed so that was about an inch. Trimming off the serged ends lost another inch. Measured again and it was 4 inches shorter so there was some shrinkage.

A friend says her king sized quilt shrunk about 8 inches after washing. She doesn't pre-wash fabrics.

I would rather account for shrinkage before cutting the fabric and quilting so I will pre-wash. Plus I don't want to pay for quilting that is going to shrink away.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:56 AM

I prefer to preshrink for the above reasons, but mostly because I hate the feel/smell of all the sizing and chemicals that end up on the fabric during the processing. I also don't use starch for the same reason, I don't like the way it makes the fabric feel. I've been doing some swaps, and once in a while I'll get fabric that was starched. It sure reminds me of why I don't like starching my fabric.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:06 AM

I'm also in the pre-wash camp. Working with reds, I found that an inexpensive Walmart piece did not bleed at all, while a Moda Christmas fabric bled repeatedly through several washes.
Methinks you don't necessarily get what you pay for. I've read comments about Kona solids not all being the same quality depending on where they are sold.
Anyway, it all comes out in the wash, so I wash.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-23-2019 at 07:31 AM. Reason: rants not permitted
Old 09-23-2019, 05:31 AM

I always pre-wash. Flannels shrink a lot .... I mean, a lot.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:52 AM

I do not always pre-wash everything but I will pre-wash for swaps and some specific fabrics that seem to have a looser weave or heavy sizing. The heavier the sizing the more I feel it needs pre-washed. The only time I do not pre-wash for a swap is when it is stated "do not pre-wash".
Old 09-23-2019, 06:11 AM

I'm a prewasher but not a pre/post measurer. Sometimes I wish I was!

Between shrinkage and manufacturing issues, I only plan on 40" of usable fabric in a strip any more. I've noticed that they are starting to put on better/truer measurements on bolts than 44/45" that was the standard measurement. Around Y2K I did a lot of fabric swapping, we used pre-washed fabric and made 10" squares and sometimes we all had issues being able to get our squares cut.

I tried to get people riled up some 20 years ago about the discrepancy between the 44/45" inch listed and the actual sizes even pre-washed. The mills/manufacturers know they are skimping on the measurement, they get all sorts of extra yards of length when you short it 2" along the width. You have to register the printing process, you know the size of your print area. I wrote letters to US and State departments of weights and measures, posted on line. Just couldn't get any traction. Quilt fabric is a billions with a B industry, and they are cheating you just as surely as shorting you a cup per gallon of gasoline and charging you for a full gallon.

I do most of my initial sewing as strip piecing and it makes a big difference on whether or not I can get my count. In my current project I needed 42" and I have that exactly! Maybe 2 threads difference other than the very unusable selvedges. That's a little too close for comfort and I had extra fabric so I cut extra strips but that meant with 30 blocks I could only fit in 3 comfortably instead of 4, so had to cut 10 strips instead of 8.

Should have measured first or at least cut one test strip instead of all 6. Would have done better fabric-wise to cut a 10.5" strip of fabric and then cut the 2.5" widths from that, less waste.

Last edited by Iceblossom; 09-23-2019 at 06:13 AM.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:24 AM
Power Poster

I will have to make a point to read what the labels on the ends of the bolt say.

Even 20 years ago, some of the bolt ends said Width: 42-43 inches.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:12 AM

I prewash my fabrics most of the time. This way if there is any bleeding or fading then it will be usually taken care of at that washing.