Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Combination machine better than embroidery-only >

Combination machine better than embroidery-only

Combination machine better than embroidery-only

Old 09-24-2019, 09:51 AM

Question Combination machine better than embroidery-only

I am trying to decide on a new machine for quilting and embroidery but in doing all my research, I read a post by someone on another website that a combination machine is better than an embroidery-only machine. I've never heard this before and was just curious if this is common knowledge and I just somehow missed it. I am trying to decide between these 2 options so I thought I better ask here.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:08 AM

Embroidery Only machine are just that. They don't usually have feed dogs and often have multiple needles so you can thread them up with several colors and walk away.

I don't know if you can do FMQ on one of them, but you can't do any piecing on it. Most people buy combination machines, there is a limited market for embroidery only - and a lot of that is business.

I think most people refer to machines as "embroidery" or "embroidery only". Rarely does anyone call them "combination" machines though that is what they are - they sew and embroider.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:40 AM

I have an Embroidery only machine, the Janome 300E, it is one color thread at a time, not a multi thread machine. I like it better, because you can be sewing or quilting on your other machine and embroidering at the same time.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:12 AM

I will agree -two machines are better than one lol!

I have a straight stitch only machine I do my piecing on, and often am using my combination embroidery machine to embroider at the same time. However for the few times I need something like a zig zag or decorative stitch, I can use the embroidery machine.

I do have a couple of other swing needle machines I can use if I'm in the middle of an embroidery project. I have used three machines when I'm making some embroidered crazy quilt blocks and needed to also do some zigzagging of embellishments using invisible thread.

Some of the combo machines come with neat editing and design capabilities. I don't know if the embroidery only machines have that, or if you would do your designs on a computer and then simply upload them to the embroidery machine. I just bought a stand alone design program, so probably won't use the one built into my new embroidery machine much.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:38 AM

I have a combo sewing/embroidery machine and I also have a sewing machine. The combo is great if you want to embroider and sew and if you're short on space and can only fit one machine in the room. I have both because if one is in the shop I have a spare so I can always sew. Also, if I'm embroidering something I can sew on the other machine while the embroidery machine is stitching out my design.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:13 PM

Buy 2 combo machines--embroidery and stitching. You will always have what you need.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:27 PM

I’m sorry. I wasn’t clear in what I wrote. The person on the other webpage wasn’t saying it was better to own a machine that did both embroidery and sewing. She was saying that the actual embroidery stitches were better on a machine that did both sewing and embroidery rather than a machine that just did embroidery.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:49 PM

The stitch quality from machines can be affected by so many things that it is not comparing apples to apples unless that person used the same thread in top and bottom, same stabilizer, fabric, and most of all design..in both machines. I have used many different brands of embroidery machines and they all have their pros and cons, but the one thing that is consistent is that they all have sewn out nice designs when given the proper tension, thread, stabilizer, etc.
I know you weren't asking, but if I had a choice, I would always have a machine that I use solely for embroidery. Embroidery can be very time consuming, and I like to have a machine that I can sew on while the embroidery is stitching out..I can't stand to just wait for a design ..I get a lot of piecing done while embroidering..just a personal choice.
Old 09-24-2019, 02:03 PM

I have not heard that idea about embroidery only machines. Did she show a comparison stitch out between the two machines? I doubt there is a big difference.

My first machine was emb only. The embroidery and editing features were comparable to the combo unit sold at the time. The stitches were beautiful. Never any issues with the machine.
Old 09-24-2019, 03:35 PM

I have a Bernina sewing/embroidery machine and a Bernette embroidery only machine. The stitch quality on the embroidery only machine is excellent. It is as good as anything you might purchase that was professionally embroidered.