Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Glue clues >

Glue clues

Glue clues

Old 09-25-2019, 01:05 PM

Default Glue clues

I would like to glue down some small heavy items such as trinkets, coins, charms on a wall hanging, but I've never done any kind of embellishments. I have no clue what kind of glue to use. The wall hanging won't be washed regularly. I also would like to use some glitter, if you can tell what brands to use I would greatly appreciate it!
Old 09-25-2019, 04:57 PM

Hmmm my first thought was to use a glue gun. I think it will hold, but you'll still be able to peel off the items if you decide you want to wash them.

Another thought is you could just vacuum and/or damp-wipe the wall hanging regularly, and use a permanent, strong glue such as E-6000.
Old 09-25-2019, 05:32 PM

I use Gorilla Glue for almost everything. I just put some glue on my rulers so they would grip and not slide around.
You also have Aleene's jewelry glue that holds great on fabric. I also use the water base Elmer's for temporarily holding my embroidery and applique work, and sandwich for quilting.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:16 AM

I have used Aleene's tacky glue to glue items to a wall hanging, but if the item is too heavy it may not hold up over time. For a coin could you use invisible thread and tack it on by hand? I have used glitter in a wall hanging and just used regular glitter that I bought at Michaels. I think it was Martha stewart brand in a kit kind of thing. Aleene's works well for sequins and "jewels". My personal preference is to avoid glue guns.....I just make a mess with them.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:28 AM
Power Poster

Aleene Jewel It glue. It is made for gluing items to to fabric. I use to make jewel sweatshirts and sweaters back in the 80's and the gems were still attached when those shirts were passed their time. Those sweatshirts were washed a lot and not one jewel ever came off.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:12 PM

Do you buy Aleene's Jewel glue at any store? Never heard of it and everything I try to glue to wall hangings falls off pretty fast. I feel pretty stupid so help me.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by redbreast View Post
Do you buy Aleene's Jewel glue at any store? Never heard of it and everything I try to glue to wall hangings falls off pretty fast. I feel pretty stupid so help me.
You can probably get it at Joann fabrics or a craft store like Michael's or Hobby Lobby. I have some I bought ages ago (I can't even remember where). I used it quite a bit and worked really well.
Old 09-28-2019, 04:45 AM
Power Poster

The name of the glue is Aleene's Jewel It. I bought more at Hobby Lobby not too long ago. I wonder what ever happened to all of Aleene's products. She use to have a tv craft show with her daughters. There was another tv craft show Crafting with Carol I think was the name. I learned some neat tricks of the trade from those shows.