Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ricky Tims Kaleidoscope >

Ricky Tims Kaleidoscope

Ricky Tims Kaleidoscope

Old 09-27-2019, 07:11 PM

Default Ricky Tims Kaleidoscope

Has anyone done a Ricky Tims Kaleidoscope quilt. It is calling for a lot of fabric, saying to buy a 1/2 yd of each, but also saying you won't use all of that. I am wondering if 1/4 yds would work. I want to add some batiks, but have already spent a lot of money on fabric for this quilt and don't feel like buying 1/2 yds.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:19 PM

I haven't done a kaleidoscope quilt at all, but it's on my bucket list so I've watched tutorials. Because of the way you have to cut according to repeats, there is waste.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:11 PM

I've done a couple kaleidoscopes, and it makes a great effect if you fussy cut the fabrics. I could see needing more fabric for the fussy cutting.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:15 PM

I did one. Mine was a 82x82 and has a large kaleidoscope, one half one, and 3 smaller ones--this was for a contest & had to have a certain size. I would say that 1/2 yd of each fabric is about right--really read the instructions cause each person's kaleidoscope is a little different--you are going to be cutting your fabric stripes so that they are not all the sam esize. Also--really,really read the part about designing your templates so that you don't have Y seams--I unfortunately ended up with one kaleidoscope that had 3! Live and learn! These are very cool designs and so unique. Good luck![ATTACH=CONFIG]617891[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails p1040793.jpg  
Old 09-28-2019, 05:40 AM

Your quilt is gorgeous. I just ordered the book. I was also thinking of making it larger.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:21 AM

I think it calls for alot of yardage due to fussy cutting specific areas of the quilt to create the effect. When I made a similar quilt, the yardage left looked like swiss cheese. Thus, you didn't use all of it. If you were using solids or tone on tones, it might work but I don't think it would for prints. Just a thought.
Old 09-28-2019, 01:34 PM
Power Poster

Do you mean Ricky Tims Kool Kaleidoscope? I made two years ago. I made mine from scraps and don't remember how much fabric they required. They were fun to make and I would like to do it again, maybe on a larger scale.
Attached Thumbnails kool-kal.jpg   kool-kal-002.jpg  
Old 09-28-2019, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
I think it calls for alot of yardage due to fussy cutting specific areas of the quilt to create the effect. When I made a similar quilt, the yardage left looked like swiss cheese.
I think this is true of traditional kaleidoscope quilts, but not Ricky Tims' version. I took a class and made one and there was no fussy cutting done at all.
Old 09-28-2019, 04:41 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I think this is true of traditional kaleidoscope quilts, but not Ricky Tims' version. I took a class and made one and there was no fussy cutting done at all.
You're right Peggi. If you look at mine (above) you can see it's made from simple strips of fabric.
Old 09-28-2019, 06:47 PM

yeah, the Ricky Tims is made from stripe sets and you really don't fussy cut. And he has you draw out your template shapes to suit you--that is where you have to be careful not to set yourself up for Y seams!

He gives you the measurement ratios to make the kaleidoscopes different sizes--with the larger ones you definitely need more fabric stripes. You do the strip sets, cut your templates from them (he gives you ways to do that so it works), then sew together and you get a "pie", then by sewing those Pies (12 opposing sets) you get that kaleidoscope, add the setting triangles and you have a square.