Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual quilting weekend 10/3-10/6 >

Virtual quilting weekend 10/3-10/6

Virtual quilting weekend 10/3-10/6

Old 10-03-2019, 05:28 PM

Default Virtual quilting weekend 10/3-10/6

Welcome to VQW! What are you working on this weekend? I知 not totally sure yet what I値l be doing but will be glad to have the company.

Next virtual weekend will be November 1-3.
Old 10-04-2019, 03:22 AM

Hello again virtual quilters. I have two projects going on both started from a large box of pre-cut squares I was given.

Top 1 I'm calling the Confetti quilt because I bought a confetti fabric to hold the blocks together, for that one I chose 6.5" juvenile novelty squares as focus fabrics simply framed in the confetti fabric and sashed with more pre-cut squares cut in half. Fortunately for me it didn't really matter with my design whether the squares were consistently cut or not because most of the box was 6" and not 6.5". I laid out the top yesterday and today will start putting together the rows so it is almost a completed top. It will finish twin sized and will be for donation.

The other one also started from the same box of pre-cut squares, only this time I took out everything with any sort of metallic embellishment, cut the squares in half on the diagonal and reassembled them into quarter-squares which will finish as a 7" block. I'm using glitter, gold, silver, foil, heavy, light -- just has to have something shiny, my working name for the project is "Scrap Metal". I still have to make final decisions on the layout, pretty sure it's just going to be set on point with a 2" wide sashing, but maybe I'll frame each square with a narrow border with alternate colors... I'll need to make another 30 or so squares from my metallic stash to go along with the 32 I've made that came from the box so I can do that while I figure out what I'm doing. I have plenty of metallics to choose from, for the last year as I've been organizing my stash I've been taking them out of their color sorted boxes and into their own collection. It will be queen sized and I have no plans/deadlines on when it will be quilted but I'd like to finish up the top this month.

Usually I'm a very planned quilter and I know what my final goal is before I start. I started these projects with "let's see how far this box of squares takes me". Didn't even know what size the blocks were going to be on the Scrap Metal project until I made a few! That's just wild and crazy sewing coming from me.

I can say I am not liking working with the precut squares. For one, I didn't cut them and they are different sizes and I am fussy. But mostly I am so used to working with my rulers and WoF that my math brain was not equipped to go to that single square scale. Just an attitude adjustment needed.
Old 10-04-2019, 03:42 AM

I will be quilting a QOV this weekend
Old 10-04-2019, 04:40 AM

I'd like to join in if I can. I'm working on two things this weekend, a Row-by-Row quilt that I started 3 years ago and my Little Brown Bird Applique quilt that I've been working on for forever, well, 5 years. I'm on the last blocks of that.

I look forward to seeing what everyone is making.
Old 10-04-2019, 04:41 AM

Quilting an improv quilt that will be my first finished UFO since May or June. Hope to get it finished this VQW. Also working on the collage pieces for the quilt started in The August Danny Amazonas workshop.

Rob
Old 10-04-2019, 04:44 AM

I'll probably be helping my neighbor finish her 1st ever quilt for her grandbaby. Have all the blocks put together and now on to the sashings (2) one pieced from scraps, 1 solid piece and then a border. We'll try to use up the scraps for the binding too. She also got to try out using my EPIC machine for an appliqued embroidered design for the center of 5 of the blocks so alot of firsts for her. Think she's hooked!!!!!
Old 10-04-2019, 04:50 AM

Happy to join you with some stitching/quilting time.

First, is to stitch together a small pillow with ruffles from class this week. I didn't like the way the ruffle techniques were going in class. Brought it home and mastered my own way.

Next up, is to quilt a small Halloween table runner (TR) from Accuquilt class. It's supposed to be a pillow but I want a TR. Last, is another class project with sea critters done on the emb machine. Stinking cute backing fabric with crabs, fish and octopus. Hopefully, I'll make some progress.

Oh wait! The flower beds need some attention too. It's finally a little cooler here in the 80's instead of 90's. Fall perhaps? LOL!
Old 10-04-2019, 05:04 AM

I have so many projects going at the same time lol. I need to finish a quilt this weekend. A friend asked if I could replicate her daughter's quilt she received when she was born. Daughter is now 14 and still sleeps with the quilt. Quite simple...eyelet on front and white fabric on back and 3" eyelet. The original quilt was not quilted so I thought I would birth the quilt and then tie it but now maybe I might lightly quilt it. I have never tied a quilt. My goal is to finish it today and try to finish something else tomorrow.
Old 10-04-2019, 05:17 AM

I will be working on a baby quilt using some of my 1930 repo fabrics. So I will be sewing and trimming up 192 hst's for depression blocks that will become the top for this quilt. The theme is bunnies and I have many bunny prints from my original collection of 1930 reproduction fabrics. I spent yesterday cutting 4" squares of both background and repo fabrics to prepare for this. It is unlikely that I will get the entire top finished this weekend but I will give it a hearty try.
Old 10-04-2019, 05:43 AM

Joining in I'm working on the Pattern by Yoko Saito called Good Night...all applique