Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual quilting weekend 10/3-10/6 >

Virtual quilting weekend 10/3-10/6

Virtual quilting weekend 10/3-10/6

Old 10-04-2019, 11:09 AM

Waving back. Thanks for hosting this. I have to stay in the house as this area is right in the middle of an EEE outbreak. Eastern Equine Encephalitis which is somewhere between 30 and 70% fatal to humans and 90% fatal to horses. In the middle of Amish country I can't look anywhere but what I don't see a horse. A little girl 6 miles to the north is in the hospital with it now.

So here is my work in progress: heavy on the work and light on the progress.[ATTACH=CONFIG]618129[/ATTACH] It my red Smith Mountain Morning for the Bonnie Hunter class. I have 3 chimney blocks done. It should come together fast as there are many other parts that are complete.

I want to see your pics....

The CDC is here paying for the spraying of 3 counties in Indiana. I am 6 miles from Elkhart and one mile from Noble and I'm in LaGrange. We are praying for frost which will kill off the skeeter.
Attached Thumbnails 20191004_144756_resized.jpg  

Last edited by Battle Axe; 10-04-2019 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:36 AM

[QUOTE=Iceblossom;8309412]Hello again virtual quilters. I have two projects going on both started from a large box of pre-cut squares I was given.

Top 1 I'm calling the Confetti quilt because I bought a confetti fabric to hold the blocks together, for that one I chose 6.5" juvenile novelty squares as focus fabrics simply framed in the confetti fabric and sashed with more pre-cut squares cut in half. Fortunately for me it didn't really matter with my design whether the squares were consistently cut or not because most of the box was 6" and not 6.5". I laid out the top yesterday and today will start putting together the rows so it is almost a completed top. It will finish twin sized and will be for donation. QUOTE]

I think this is the pattern I'll be working on too. It will go to comfort quilts and they've asked for masculine quilts this month. So it's dark greens & a wow that looks like rough woven linen. And it's already cut out. This will be my first sewing since shoulder surgery. The PT said 15-30 minutes max at a time. The timer will be necessary because I'm so excited to be sewing again..... and VQW to motivate me.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:02 PM

I need to clean off my sewing table in the basement. I want to finish cutting out a quilt for my niece and work on my Christmas quilts. I have one too done. I need to piece the back. The other one is still sewing squares together. I also need to cut the alternate square pieces so I can start in those.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:15 PM

OK, one project done!

This pillow was started in class. We all had problems with the ruffle foot on our machines. I tried using a zig-zag and stitching cording. Too hard to even out the ruffle on each side.

I brought it home and made it my own way. Zig-zagged cording on 4 sides ending at each corner. This allowed me to gather from each corner accordingly.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]618132[/ATTACH]

Back of pillow with hidden zipper in flange. It's my favorite way of putting zippers in pillows.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]618133[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails pillow-pic-1.jpg   pillow-pic-2.jpg  

Last edited by Rhonda K; 10-04-2019 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-04-2019, 03:46 PM

Okay, I have a few pictures for today's efforts. This is the Row-by-Row quilt I've been trying to get finished up from 2016. The theme was home sweet home. I started it back then but put it down and it became a UFO.

I'm still not done. I missed the satin stitching in a couple of spots so I'll work on those tomorrow. And, I have a bit of embroidery work to do, especially on that bottom strip. But it's ready to take back to the winter house and put it on my LA. That's good progress for the day.
Attached Thumbnails r-b-r-1.jpg   r-b-r-2.jpg   r-b-r-3.jpg  
Old 10-04-2019, 05:16 PM

I'm in this time. Actually home for a VQW!

I have 5 projects to work on this weekend, 4 sewing and 1 stained glass. First I have a little hand work on a memory quilt that I thought was finished a while ago but decided it needed a little more quilting. I'm working on a testing quilt for a lady to see if there are any problems with the pattern, lots of flying geese in this one. Then I need to bind a lap quilt for a friend that she is donating for a raffle.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]618144[/ATTACH]
The last sewing project is a pair of pajama pants for the DGS, he needs a pair of Flash pants to match his Flash shirt, socks and underwear.

The stained glass project will be in-between some of the sewing, I can only set 4 or 5 pieces before I need to walk away or I end up breaking a piece or two.

Too many sharp angles
[ATTACH=CONFIG]618143[/ATTACH]
It looked fine when I designed it but I forgot about keeping the points.
Attached Thumbnails dsci0207c.jpg   dsci0210c.jpg  
Old 10-04-2019, 05:17 PM
Power Poster

I'll join in and get to cleaning off my ironing board. Then to make some progress on a quilt for our Cal. King bed.
Thanks for hosting this again!
Old 10-04-2019, 05:18 PM
Power Poster

Marcia, that EEE sounds scary and dangerous. Are they shooting horses? Definitely stay inside and play with those gorgeous reds you have... anything you make with those will be beautiful. Can't wait to see your quilt.

Jean, love your Home Sweet Home quilt! I did the RBR challenge that year too, but all different rows from yours. Mine are from the Southern states... Mississippi, Tennessee, Texas, and I think I did one from Minnesota. I loved the rows that year.

Well, I got my cotton battings all shrunk (I hope) and dried, and got two small Christmas lap quilts spray basted. Then I spent the rest of the day putting two borders on my Allietare quilt top, to get it ready to sell. It's going on Ebay! I'm just tired of looking at it for three years.... Hope someone else wants to finish it.

It's about time to hit the couch and relax with some knitting. I've just finished a "Little Cotton Rabbit" in a dress, which will be an Easter gift for one of my granddaughters. Now I need to make #2 for the other GD. I'm also working on a Red Pony for one of them for Christmas. So cute.

G'night All....
Old 10-04-2019, 05:25 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

I am in. Want to finish quilting and bind my Moonglow quilt, cut up scraps into strips for the nine patches on my Jacks Chain quilt, and sandwich the last two (drum roll, please) UFO tops. But will be happy with any progress.
Old 10-04-2019, 05:58 PM

oh, Battleaxe, so sorry that you are in midst of EEE outbreak. It's been so wet around here and the mosquitos thick--usually in KS we are dry starting in July.

I'm in! Finished a quilt for friend today and it's at her place. Met with quilters from Tulsa about quilting for them. And tomorrow we are expecting some rain so the outside chores will be on hold--yea! Means I get to quilt a lap quilt that will go to relative for Christmas (already loaded on the frame), load another one, and then go play in the sewing room !