Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Virtual quilting weekend 10/3-10/6 >
  • Virtual quilting weekend 10/3-10/6

• Virtual quilting weekend 10/3-10/6

Old 10-05-2019, 10:07 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north
    Thanks for your kind words, Sewbizgirl. I'm am so happy to have that Row-by-Row ready to start the quilting. Of course that will have to wait until we get back to the winter house where the LA is housed. We should be back home in a couple of weeks. Fall is pretty up close to the Canadian border but it sure does get cold in a hurry.
    n-u-n, I quilted my RBR a little differently... I quilted each row separately and then joined them, QAYG style. It worked great and then all I had left to do was the binding! I find the RBRs don't really need that much quilting... just a little to enhance all the patterns on them.

Here is the Allietare I added borders to yesterday. It's such a huge quilt that those borders took about twice the fabric I expected, and twice the time, too!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]618166[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails img_5614.jpg  
    Old 10-05-2019, 10:12 AM
    Power Poster

Lovely quilts, Iceblossom! Kids love bright colors, even if not novelties, and I have to say your 'scrappies' go with your 'novelties' really well!

Love the quarter-square blocks too. Such pretty colors. It reminds me of water. That blue border is really going to bring the blues out even more.

(Wish I had some Hershey's kiss fabric! )
    Old 10-05-2019, 11:20 AM

Wooo! Sewbizgirl, love your color choices and your workmanship looks exquisite. Grey is fun to work with but some years is just impossible to find.

I might have another 10" square piece of that Hershey's Kiss fabric because I know I got it in a swap, question is if I used it or not... if it comes to the surface I'll need your address Pretty sure if I don't have it I have a piece of metallic embellished Hershey's Miniatures (I used a non-metallic one in the Confetti quilt).

I thought it would be fun but I'm not enjoying working with the squares as much as I thought I would. I think after these two projects it will be time to pass the remainders on, I think in many ways the fabric is more cohesive and usable as a collection now that the novelty and metallic fabrics have been removed. It's funny how a collection of "hard to use" fabrics can be best used together!
    Old 10-05-2019, 11:54 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Iceblossom
    Wooo! Sewbizgirl, love your color choices and your workmanship looks exquisite. Grey is fun to work with but some years is just impossible to find.

I might have another 10" square piece of that Hershey's Kiss fabric because I know I got it in a swap, question is if I used it or not... if it comes to the surface I'll need your address Pretty sure if I don't have it I have a piece of metallic embellished Hershey's Miniatures (I used a non-metallic one in the Confetti quilt).

I thought it would be fun but I'm not enjoying working with the squares as much as I thought I would. I think after these two projects it will be time to pass the remainders on, I think in many ways the fabric is more cohesive and usable as a collection now that the novelty and metallic fabrics have been removed. It's funny how a collection of "hard to use" fabrics can be best used together!
    True! Still, it takes a knack...

Don't dig too hard for the hershey's kiss fabric. I love it, but I do have plenty of fabric to use up already! Sweet of you to offer to share.
    Old 10-05-2019, 12:00 PM

It's great to see all the participants, and pictures of everyone's projects. They're all great, and all so different. Makes it so much fun to check it out.
    I've worked out my design for the first quilt for my SIL's granddaughter. I did a "fabric toss" of fabrics from our stash and discovered I don't need to buy very much, other than the matching fabric that goes with the panel. It's called Crazy for Cats Kitty Warhol. I've attached pics of my design, the panel with tossed fabrics, and the final choices (I think).
    Attached Thumbnails img_20191005_132709263.jpg   img_20191004_115626327.jpg   img_20191004_173025446.jpg  
    Old 10-05-2019, 12:39 PM

I've been AWOL from the sewing room today as it was the kickoff of the Hallmark ornament October release and my DD and I collect (too many) ornaments.
    But last night I was able to sew about half of the bajillion triangles into hourglass units. Only half a bajillion to go!
    Old 10-05-2019, 03:05 PM

I'm in this VQW. Been working on jelly roll rugs, I cut out several at the beginning of the summer, and didn't get in much sewing time this summer, so want to finish them up before moving on to something else.

Tish05, I love the panel and your coordinating fabrics. It's going to be gorgeous, can't wait to see it finished.
    Old 10-05-2019, 06:56 PM

Got 4 more 15 inch squares finished after we went shopping (I am finally getting the hang of making flying geese each square requires 20), right now working on the hand quilting. Didn't get to work on the glass, stood too long making lumpia just don't feel like standing more tonight.

I'm enjoying pictures of everyone's progress.
    Old 10-05-2019, 07:22 PM

Yesterday was able to finish 12 blocks doing 6/session. My shoulder/arm was fine.

Today DD and SIL came over. SIL and DH worked on smoothing the concrete from a previous project. Took 3 hours.

DD helped me with vege garden. We even drove into Oakhurst to get more soil and plants. All the plants got planted. Just need to sow seeds, fix water system and get the covers for the beds ready. I worked 3 hours after 6 weeks of convalescing. My whole body is muscle tired. Protected my arm and it seems fine. Took a nap and think I could fall asleep again.

Tomorrow, hope to finish the other 12 blocks.
    Old 10-05-2019, 08:57 PM

It sure sounds like everyone is getting a lot done. Love the quilts in the pictures and the planning, too. I like sketching things out when I'm designing a quilt. That kat one will be spectacular. Love all the bright colors.

Sewbizgirl, that's quite a quilt! It looks like a ton of work!.

It's crazy but I've never done a QAYG quilt. I keep thinking I'll do one but just haven't done one yet.

I've been pretty busy today.... had to go into town and that always takes a chunk out of the day. But, I worked on my LBB applique a bit and worked on some 3" 9-patch blocks, too. I'll take pics tomorrow.

Have a good night all.... need to rest up for another day of sewing.