Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine Table-Against the wall or >

Machine Table-Against the wall or

Machine Table-Against the wall or

Old 10-20-2019, 10:45 AM

My sewing table floats, as does my cutting table because I have the space now. When I was in 9x11, I still floated my desk but put the cutting table against the wall. I like to watch tv while I sew and really don’t want to face a wall. Before I got my LA, I put a folding table behind my desk for fmq.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:06 AM
Power Poster

If your machine is in the middle of the room, you could solve the tripping hazard with one of these https://www.amazon.com/Electriduct-P...45671829&psc=1
Old 10-20-2019, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Sephie View Post
I've always kept mine pushed into a corner so that the back and left of the table are blocked by the walls. That way, my quilt doesn't ever fall off the table on those sides when I'm quilting, and I don't have to worry about supporting them on those sides.

Having the cutting table accessible on all sides sounds wonderful though!
Me to for same reason
Old 10-20-2019, 11:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by charlottequilts View Post
..........extension cord crossing right where I'm standing. I regularly tromp on it, but it hasn't been a big deal.............
Tromping on it is one thing,
but pleeeeeeeease be careful that it does not send you flying some day.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:32 PM
Power Poster

I was concerned about the "tripping" aspect as well. One could used duct tape and tape it down as well, if the flooring would you allow to.
Old 10-20-2019, 03:13 PM
Power Poster

My sewing cabinet is up against a wall. I have a five light pole lamp to my right and a 2 x 4 ' folding table to my left. My cutting table is in front of only window with a Dayzor light over it. I have 4 LED lidhts in the middle of the ceiling. Works for me.
Old 10-20-2019, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Tromping on it is one thing,
but pleeeeeeeease be careful that it does not send you flying some day.
Aww, thanks. . I was trying to point out that if space were limited, the cords shouldn't be a deal-breaker, but my set-up might not be the safest, either. I am going to look into rerouting the cords or trying the "electriduct" idea posted by QuiltnNan.

Ironically, the cords are from swing-arm lamps, intended to prevent accidents with the cutter.

hugs,
charlotte
Old 10-20-2019, 03:54 PM

My sewing machine is on a desk that is against the wall but right under a very large window so I get lots of daylight. My cutting table is set up so I can walk around 3 sides (if I move my ironing board a little, lol). I really like being able to walk around the cutting table.
Old 10-20-2019, 04:22 PM

My machine is against the wall/window as well. I actually like it quite a bit as I can be a nosey neighbor and watch folks coming/going up & down the 2 streets I can see from that window, lol. My cutting table does float in the center of the room. I like both setups quite well. I use my cutting table to also sandwich/baste my quilts so being able to access from all sides is very handy.
Old 10-20-2019, 04:24 PM
Power Poster

I finally have my own small room. I put an ironing board up against the wall with windows level with the table the machine sits in and have another table to the left. That table is also big enough to cut on. I like being in front of the windows but sometimes when Mr Stitchnripper comes into the room he startled me because my back is to the door!!