Waste Basket Location

Old 10-29-2019, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

Default Waste Basket Location

I had my wastebasket under my table right under the machine.

I have decided that is not the best place for it to be - important/needed things have been known to fall in the basket - and if not noticed/recovered on a timely basis - are gone forever.

For at the machine location, I think a thread catcher type bag that has be to dumped into a larger container may be the way to go. Then I might catch a stray item before it goes into the big trash container outside.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:35 AM

I use a cereal bowl for my threads and fabric trimmings. When it is full, I walk to the next room to dump it. I get a stretch and a break when I choose it empty the bowl. When I am done for the day, my bowl is washed in the dishwasher.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:51 AM

I use 2 things. My guild saves all lose threads, scraps anything material wise for pet beds so I keep a waste basket on the right side. I used one of the 3m self hooks to hang a small bag on the left side of my table for other papers like notes, candy wrappers! (yes) etc.

When I go away, I always bring my machine as I get bored easily. I bring a small basket that folds for all of my scraps mixed and just throw the out. To me this works great. I got the basket from the $1.00 store years ago.
Old 10-29-2019, 11:36 AM

In my Diva Den, it doesn't seem to matter where I put it, something always falls into the waste basket. I have several-baskets and thread catchers- one near each machine, one near the cutting table and one near the ironing board. Just outside the door is the utility room with the main household waste. I go through them all (well...not the one in the utility) regularly, and it's not unusual to find things...especially the seam ripper. Hmmm....imagine that. Seam rippers in the trash. Best place for them?

Last edited by mindless; 10-29-2019 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-29-2019, 11:44 AM
Power Poster

​I have a thread catcher by my machine and a waste basket by my ironing board. I do check my thread catcher as I empty it into the trash basket. I also check the trash basket before it leaves the sewing room.
Old 10-29-2019, 01:18 PM
Power Poster

This is why I just throw everything on the floor and clean up later. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 10-29-2019, 01:20 PM

I had a claw hammer that caught the edge of the waste bsket by the claws. It as actively trying to preserve its life. And suceeded.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
This is why I just throw everything on the floor and clean up later. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Love your story. Maybe I'll try your approach.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
I had a claw hammer that caught the edge of the waste bsket by the claws. It as actively trying to preserve its life. And suceeded.
Still snickering...
Sounds like it also preserved your toes.

Ok so....I know people use lots of unusual tools in their quilting world. My brain hurts after trying to come up with a good quilty use for that hammer. Other than hanging your rulers and protecting your good scissors, of course.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:43 PM
Power Poster

I'm in the process of cleaning my sewing room and I taped a smallish plastic bag on the end of my table. We'll see how it works.