Ice blossoms

Old 09-25-2019, 07:26 AM

Default Ice blossoms

EVery since I noticed Iceblossom come on board i thought, " I know I've taken pictures of those."

I found them yesterday. Sorry about the junk in the background of the color one.

An early freeze is the way to catch them... Ok and going out in the cold after a freezing rain.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]617784[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]617785[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails ice-blossom-b-band-w.jpg   ice-blossom-b-color.jpg  
Old 09-25-2019, 07:36 AM
Power Poster

A lovely example of temporary beauty - thank you for sharing it!
Old 09-25-2019, 08:04 AM

Lovely pictures, Leon.

I've been asked before about my name, like most of my stories it is long. I grew up from ages 10-23 in Alaska, my Dad was in the Army and that's where we ended up. It was the 70s -- in Alaskan terms I am pre-pipeline, the pipeline era was arguably the end of the wild west, there is no where further we as a country can really go except under water. Because of the pipeline workers and the military bases in the Anchorage area there was about one single female for every 6-7 single guys, you get used to being special. And then I moved down here to the Seattle area where it was more unusual for two 15 year old girls to go on a remote hike in bear territory and things like that, and I was just another girl.

In 2000 I began playing the game Everquest, it's a live role playing game played with other people to kill dragons and such. Turns out I met my husband playing that game in February 2001. My primary character was a Barbarian Shaman named Iceblossom -- as beautiful and sharp as a crystal and a flower of her people. You can say I identify with part of her I became active on gaming forums and adopted Iceblossom as my on-line persona so have been using it for a couple of decades now. Not all Iceblossoms are me but if it involves popular culture (books, movies, music especially) or quilting, it probably is/was me.

When I go to fan outings (or quilt shows or whatever), or just if I'm meeting up with someone, I have various hair clips that are crystal flowers -- aka ice blossoms as well. That combined with a long ponytail helps to find me out in a crowd.

I'm always surprised when I am asked for a screen name and it is already taken.

PS: Did you see my grandbaby is named Leon? Just born about 2 weeks ago.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:32 AM

Thanks for sharing the pictures Leon. Iceblossom your story is so interesting and I hope I meet you someday.��
Old 09-26-2019, 07:30 AM

Love the story. and I hope your Leon has a good of a life as I have had. Though it will be quite different without Big Chief tablets and slide rules. And flag stops for trains.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:33 PM

Wow, those are beautiful. I love looking at them, on my computer, in my cozy home.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:07 PM

Thanks for the compliments
Old 09-29-2019, 04:03 PM

Growing up, I had two cousins named Leon, one on my dad's side and one on my mom's. Then I named my son Leon.

My mother said she named me "Mavis" because she had had a little student in her one room school named Mavis and liked it. Mavis is actually an English sur-name. A man whose last name was Mavis found a "new" bird and named it Mavis. That's how it got to be a girl's name. From the bird. Now I see Mavis used as a first and last name for men and women. My daughter was looking at recent births in her town and found a new baby named Mavis. That was unusual. All the people that I know named Mavis are getting quite old.
Old 09-29-2019, 04:13 PM

Beautiful but also can be deadly as the ice covers the power lines. I love the crystal reflection of the sun on the ice blossoms here in the fall winter or spring. Today's rain and cooler weather could produce some tonight. I hope not could ruin the rest of our summer's crops.
Old 10-01-2019, 02:52 PM

I suppose I should change. My real name is Marcia, which is the female version of Mark which means to leave a mark in the foreheads of your dead enemies on the battlefield. Kind of a gruesome thought.

My first husband (our marriage was over after the first week) stayed for 18 years. Until he found someone who he thought could or would take "better care of him than I could". He was the first one who called me Battle Axe. I'm really a sweet little old lady, a shrinking violet, etc. He actually did run off with someone we met in Sunday School. He thought she had money and she thought he had money. Neither one had a dime. I ended up with all the property and all the bills, but I worked hard and paid the bills.

So I'm sitting in the lawyer's office trying to get an LLC, trying to think up something to call myself. But with initials of MAC, all the things I could think of were taken. So I jokingly said Battle Axe. They ran that through the computer and guess what! No one had taken that name and I got it. It was in stone before I could change it.