How fast do you go?

Old 10-31-2019, 05:08 AM
Power Poster

Default How fast do you go?

How quickly do you complete a quilting project?

Except for a commissioned/hired project, does it really matter?
Old 10-31-2019, 05:14 AM

I make complicated quilts with small pieces and work on three at a time. I sew nearly every day.
The process is what brings me joy, the idea of finishing 50 quilts a year flummoxes my brain, why not buy a blanket?

If you are talking quilted and bound sometimes none. I make double sided quilts so when I have pairs that make me happy they get finished, so some years I might get 3 (6) finished Obviously I haven't got a clue!

I have my speed setting on the machine a slow-ish medium, maybe that makes me a slow-ish quilter
Old 10-31-2019, 05:23 AM

I once kept track of all the time I worked on a simple lap quilt because I wanted to know. For each time segment I described what was done I included ironing, cutting, winding bobbins and sewing. It took me a little over 39 hours from start to finish.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

I rarely make one quilt from start to finish. I seem to have a lot of projects going at once so I have no idea how to track it.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:29 AM

Each project takes the amount of time it takes... I know it can take me roughly one month of work start to finish on a queen sized quilt. Sometimes that means yes, 4 weeks at 40 hours a week for 160 hours. Other times it is less hours but still a month in time. And sometimes I might have something "in progress" for a long time without considering it a UFO.

Once I've declared it a UFO instead of a WIP, I'm usually motivated to git 'er done. I've considered my Barn Quilt project as on-going for about 2 years now. The reality is I just need to get myself to paper piece the blocks I want to paper piece, and I haven't wanted to.

I consider a top as a finished piece, just not quite a quilt yet. Since my favorite parts of the process are the 3 P's (planning, playing with fabric, piecing) it might take years before a quilt is quilted down, but it is stored together with it's backing and binding.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

I never consider it a race. Some projects I really get into and piece a top over a weekend, sometimes that same top may take me 3 months. There are many variables and every project is it’s own.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:53 AM

Depends upon how much I like it. If I think it's just great, I get it done fast. Putting aside housework and shopping. If it turned out so so, I have lead feet when it comes to sandwiching it. Sandwiching is my roadblock. Hate it.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:26 AM

I would have no idea! While I'm constantly thinking, designing, sorting and gathering fabric, I really only quilt in the "winter months". Spring, summer and fall are filled with grandkids, their activities, going to the cabin, DH's garden, traveling, hunting season, and home projects, so quilting goes on the back burner. In the late fall, I switch modes, and quilt like crazy. I currently have one almost ready to be quilted, and two others in various stages of planning and cutting.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:36 AM

It really depends on the projects. This year I have finished 9 quilts which as kept me sewing just about everyday this year. I am taking a couple days off on the quilt I am working on because of medical test. I just can't be 2 places at one time and have been pretty exhausted by the time I got home. When life gets in the way of quilting that is a bummer but then I am right back at it asap. Yes, i can have more than one project going at time and I do right now. I hope to get at least one more finished before the end of the year. Time will tell on how that is going to go.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:42 AM

I am not a fast quilter. I have to be in the mood for the next task.

Butterfly quilt started in April needs the label and binding. Sea Medley quilt needs binding. A fat quarter quilt still needs some fabrics cut and stitched.

The Christmas panel needs to be layered and quilted.

No time pressures except my own.