Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you a fast or slow sewer?

I finally have my room, my TV, my design wall, and my Netflex. I love it in here. But I find myself sewing a little - watching tv a little, sew a little more, then looking at some of my books. Check Facebook - check the Quilt Board.

All this makes my project take 5 times longer than it really could. Seems I am a slow sewer.

How about you?

Blog Entries
    it depends what I am sewing, I find that I enjoy listening to music when I sew, time flies by fast

Blog Entries
    please post a picture of your sewing room, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cminor
    I finally have my room, my TV, my design wall, and my Netflex. I love it in here. But I find myself sewing a little - watching tv a little, sew a little more, then looking at some of my books. Check Facebook - check the Quilt Board.

All this makes my project take 5 times longer than it really could. Seems I am a slow sewer.

How about you?

Pam
    I am slow, too. I think I have ADD. I cannot stick with anything, right now getting my new cabinets in the sewing room and getting it organized.

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    I am a slow sewer. And even slower now that I have found this website! LOL :)

Here it is. As it stands. I have to admit - I am a bit of a neat freak and I clean everything up every time I stop sewing. This is as messy as it gets. My husband call my need to have everthing put away "my crazy". :-)

My sewing desk with the last row ready to sew
    Name:  Attachment-80767.jpe
Views: 18
Size:  40.5 KB

I am in love with Danmar's Carpenters Star!
    Name:  Attachment-80840.jpe
Views: 17
Size:  37.1 KB

Oh no - there I am in the mirror!
    Name:  Attachment-80841.jpe
Views: 17
Size:  40.8 KB

Design wall - empty now because I have almost all of it put together
    Name:  Attachment-80842.jpe
Views: 23
Size:  24.4 KB

My helper :) Truman
    Name:  Attachment-80846.jpe
Views: 18
Size:  36.7 KB

My TV with the Netflex. I am watching Lost again
    Name:  Attachment-80912.jpe
Views: 23
Size:  36.6 KB

Blog Entries
    It depends on what I am working on, and what programs/movies are on tv LOL

Nice sewing room :D:D:D

I'm slooow! Thanks for sharing the pictures of your sewing room. Love the star.

Blog Entries
    you are not a slow sewer.

you are just not an obsessive quilter.

;-)

My family calls my sewing room "the black hole" - I go in and lose all track of time. Occasionally I'll have music or talk radio on, but most of the time I enjoy the quiet. I think I'm a slow sewer, because I rip and re-do so often. All my current projects can get done when they are done, so that makes me go a bit slower.

I'd say slow but steady - when I get started, I focus well. But there are days when it takes me a long while to get started.

Cheers, K

Blog Entries
    It depends...

Tonight, I'll make William a new Hawaiian shirt, which will take about 3 hours start to finish...but I've made more than a few of them...it'd be closer to 2 hours if I didn't match the fronts and pockets....that takes me forever sometimes!

Anything I haven't done before or am not certain about? I'm extremely slow, because I have to think out each step!

It also depends on whether or not he's home...he leaves right after work on a business trip to Houston!

Since I joined the quilting board I am slow. Not complaining

Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    It depends...

It also depends on whether or not he's home...he leaves right after work on a business trip to Houston!
    Is someone doing the happy dance! :lol:

I'm slow. I keep jumping up to do other things. I'm like Pam - I think I have ADD. I'm the same way at work. I don't do anything for more than 5 minutes. Some days I make a little progress on a lot of things which is pretty discouraging. But then I have a day when I finish about 10 projects and then I think my system works! :?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    It depends...

Tonight, I'll make William a new Hawaiian shirt, which will take about 3 hours start to finish...but I've made more than a few of them...it'd be closer to 2 hours if I didn't match the fronts and pockets....that takes me forever sometimes!

Anything I haven't done before or am not certain about? I'm extremely slow, because I have to think out each step!

Wow, I've been wanting to do that for ages!!!!

I am a very slow quilter. Everything takes time.

Quote Originally Posted by cminor
    Here it is. As it stands. I have to admit - I am a bit of a neat freak and I clean everything up every time I stop sewing. This is as messy as it gets. My husband call my need to have everthing put away "my crazy". :-)
    Where's the ironing board? Where's the rotary mat and cutter? Where's all the stash?

I sew in a corner of my sunroom. There's not much room, the table is small and a messy mass of fabrics, but there's good natural light and music, a view of the gardens, and it's a happy place. You would faint if you saw the sewing table.

I have a full size ironing board in the closet but I have to admit I don't use it much. I normally iron on a small towel on the floor. All the tools are in the bins next to the computer, and the cutting mat is behind that. I told you - "MY CRAZY". :)

I don't have that out becuase I also tend to do all my cutting, then all my trimming, then the sewing. I am on the sewing part now so the other stuff is all put away. I have a bit of stash under the computer on the shelves, but most in the closet on bolts I got from Walmart and Joannes after they emptied them. :)

I tend to enjoy the journey as well as the destination, so I guess I would be called a slow quilter. Life is too full of pressure already - I'll be darned if I let that pressure into my quilting.

I'm very slow. I just get too distracted by dishes! ;)

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Well, let's see. I noticed you can see the floor in some of your rooms. Not in mine. There is alwys fabric waiting for it's own little spot on a shelf, Totes full od scraps, etc. Good for ya'll. I also have a sewing room, 45" tv with dvd,vcr,dvr,sattelite. Also music. My family call s mine the black hole too. Once I get in there, no telling when I will emerge. I sew fast if you mean can I finish a project on stime...yes. Am I slow?? well, it depends on how many times my DH interupts of the phone rings, the dog calls, etc. Therefore, my favorite time to sew is after 10 at night thru 4 in the morning. Then sleep a few hours and get up again. No interuptions and I can sew like crazy. And it depends on how much concentration the pattern requires, If it is one I have done before I can watch tv and go...if it is new it take longer to read and mark things as I go. Happy quilting, all.

Slow....things at school get so hectic at times so I think I have to slow down here at home to keep what is left of my sanity...:)

Blog Entries
    I am usually fast when it comes to piecing, but slow when I start the quilting process. For one thing I have to stop frequently because of neck and shoulder pain so that drags it out. I read my magazines in the evening while I am "watching TV" and read after I go to bed. I have been getting on this message board when I take a break to loosen my neck so I don't think it has slowed me down very much.

Blog Entries
    I would NOT be shocked to see any pile of anything.
    The placemats that my sister made make perfect small ironing pads.

Mostly I sew on the kitchen table but have a room of storage and a sewing room, FULL!
    edited to add: slow on new techniques.

Blog Entries
    That's why I like commercials (sort of). Quilla sits quietly while the program is on then when the commercials start all you hear is BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast