Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Slow or Fast? >

Slow or Fast?

Slow or Fast?

Old 06-16-2011, 10:17 AM
klc

Today while I was working on my BOM Stitcher's Garden Quilt, I was thinking how much I was enjoying what I was doing and how slowly I was working on it. I guess I just take my time, savoring every step. I know I could work on it faster and be done with it, but I really do enjoy taking my time. Do you do the same thing or are you a fast sewer?
Old 06-16-2011, 10:19 AM

I definately take my time. I usually sew in my own room when my DH goes to sleep (he works nightshift), so I get from 6pm to midnight by myself to sew.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

It depends on the project and if there is a deadline.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:26 AM

I'm usually really slow with things, but if there's a tight deadline I'm quicker.

Sometimes I set deadlines for myself so I don't have something that turns into a UFO.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:17 AM

how about both? I savor each moment but I tend to work fast. I always have, even in school, no matter whether I did well or poorly on an exam, I was always first to finish.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:19 AM
Power Poster

Slow and steady wins the race.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:31 AM
Power Poster

I do both. I'm taking my time making the Piecemaker BOM Calendar quilt for 2011. It's all applique. It's my have to sit in LR and act like I don't want to be in my sewing room project. Amazing how much work I get done on it, lots of company coming over lately.
I like fast quilts to sew in my sewing room. I use my Go and can try out many patterns. I have one quilt project in my hand quilting frame I stitch on every now and then. No hurry for that one. My DGD will get it when it's finished. She has already claimed it as hers.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:59 AM
klc

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
It's my have to sit in LR and act like I don't want to be in my sewing room project.
OMG! LOL! That is how I feel. It's like "Have I spent enough time with all of you? Can I go play now?"
Old 06-16-2011, 12:52 PM

I am on the slower side. My mom was my teacher and very much a perfectionist which was good because I learned to do it well. I have a friend who sews very quickly whether it is garments or quilts. However, I often think her finished product good be better if she slowed down and did the in between steps such as pressing well.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:02 PM

I'm VERY slow, and my sewing room is set up to keep me that way. I have to walk from the cutting board to the machine, from the machine to the ironing board, and from the ironing board to the design wall. My way of sewing keeps me moving around and I like it that way. Keeps me from doing things "automatically" and well ... screwing it up!!

I do take advantage of time savers when I can though - like chain piecing, and cutting multiple pieces at a time. But for the most part I'm a part-time sewer (*maybe* twice a week - *maybe* once every two weeks!), and I'm a slow sewere so yeah - it takes me forever to get a project from conception to completion.