Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mystery Quilt Alongs >

Mystery Quilt Alongs

Mystery Quilt Alongs

Old 11-14-2019, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
To get your feet wet with Mystery Quilting, try Merry Mayhem's New Years' Day Mystery Quilt.
It is a lot of fun and she does it all in one day with clues every hour to make a lap size quilt.
She gives out the requirements and suggested colour ways and cutting the week before so you can be all ready to start come New Years Day.

This is the one I did last year.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]619682[/ATTACH]
Watson
Is this something I can sign up for?
Old 11-14-2019, 05:42 AM
Power Poster

I have never done a mystery quilt and probably never will. Like others, I have way too many quilts on my bucket list and I don't want to invest the time and fabric into a quilt I may not like at all when done. Heck I do that pretty well enough on my own with patterns where I know what the resulting quilt will look like but by not selecting quite the right colors/fabrics. I have never made a quilt using the line of fabric the designer created the pattern for either. But I have made them in fabrics that are very close to the colorway the designer used.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Madan49 View Post
I'm too much of a control freak to do them until they post the final clue and I see that I like the end result. Then I 'll do them, though I guess they don't count as. a mystery then.
Singing to the choir! We must be related LOL.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:45 AM

I've done two of the BH quilts - I like them because they challenge me. My color palette is different from hers as I only use scrap fabric and I lean more contemporary in my color choices. I may or may not participate this year, just depends on what else I have going. I am certain that if I collect all the clues first and see the reveal that I won't do it as it will seem overwhelming. Doing it "unit by unit" is manageable, and it is fun watching it all come together. As long as I like my colors, I will like the finished quilt no matter what it is.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
Good question.
I was all set to do the newest BH mystery but a board member told me that hers have a million pieces and I'm not sure if that's something I want to do.
I need to go on her site and check them out. She's new to me.
I am doing the mystery this year (second time) and will be following Bonnie suggestion, of doing twelve of each unit (instead of the 240 or so of each unit). This gives you enough units to make a few blocks (with leftovers). Once the mystery layout is revealed, then create the missing units to make it the size you want either: a runner, table topper, a bed runner, use as a column in a quilt backing, lap quilt or make the entire quilt!
Old 11-14-2019, 07:34 AM

I have enjoyed the few mystery quilt alongs that I have participated in...a couple of BHs, here on the QB with Paintmejudy and a couple others. As Pamela posted, mystery quilts often challenge your skills and teach new tricks and techniques. I love expanding my quilting skills.

This November I am participating in a Mystery QAL hosted by Irene from the Netherlands, her blog is Sugaridoo and it is being sponsored by Bernina. I just picked up my colorful fabric yesterday.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:34 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Cindyb, sign up here and you’ll get an email reminder.

https://merrymayhem.com/index.html

New Year’s day is usually the reveal day for the BH mystery, but I have been known to do both. Yes, the BH mystery does have a large number of small units, but is a great way to use up scraps. The fabric I have put together for this year includes: 2” strips, 2 1/2” strips, 3 1/2” strips, and assorted leftover pieces that might (or might not) work. It did help that blue is my favorite color. The BH mysteries have greatly improved my piecing precision. And if I don’t like the final result, someone else will. But no one else get En Provence.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:54 AM

I'm doing the Frolic project this year. I don't do many mystery type projects but I had an opening in my schedule and fabrics to use. I'm going to be one of the "not like the other" end products, I'm using hand-dyed fabrics and changing neutral to school bus yellow... The worst thing that happens is I donate the top and it keeps someone warm, I have no plans on what I'm going to do with it other than I'm going to do it. When it works to my schedule, I do like participating in sew-alongs. I typically press open and avoid swaps because of that.

I was a happy solo quilter for years, and then I found it could be a social activity. I'm not currently in a guild but I do have a weekly small group I go to. I do the mysteries and sew-alongs just for the fun of doing them with others. Even though we aren't physically in the same room through the magic of the internet we can share pictures and comments in real or "convenient to us" time.

If you are a solo quilter for whatever reasons, mysteries and sew-alongs are a fun way to try it as a social opportunity but without the commute or any potential risks involved in getting in the wrong group. You can ask for help, see what other people are doing, or even just lurk and maybe do it next time, but I do recommend trying one some time.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:54 AM

I've never participated in one but I am going to do Bonnie Hunter's mystery Texas quilt. She gave paint chip names and numbers to collect to match your fabric to. She specified Sherwin Williams paint but said the chips were also available at Lowe's. I found a few chips at Lowe's but more at Sherwin Williams.

Now I'm pulling pieces from my stash to match her suggestions. I'm excited!
Old 11-14-2019, 10:11 AM

I've done the Merry Mayhem, PaintmeJudy mysteries and Bonnie Hunter mysteries. Merry Mayhem is usually a one day mystery, i.e. New Year's Day, Superbowl Sunday and I would say qualify as beginner friendly and usually have larger pieces. Loved all of Judy's mysteries (you can still find them on the board).

Love Bonnie Hunter's mysteries. Her quilts, while they do have lots of pieces, she tends to break down the blocks in manageable sections for each clue. I have trouble with scrappy myself, (but I am learning) so for the past mysteries I've used at least one constant color to give me the "control" to make myself comfortable. As other's have pointed out, you don't have to use her color scheme if it doesn't appeal and you can just do enough for a few blocks (think table runner/topper) until you are sure you like the design. Or rather than scrappy just use single colors...it's your quilt you can do what ever you want! It's a great way to reach out of your comfort zone and pick up some new skills.

There is already a thread set up under Quilting Board Challenges, and if you do a search you will find prior year postings as well. I am lucky that I have a LQS that has an open sew on Friday's some of us will be getting together to work on it together.