Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome quarter inch foot?  Dual feed workaround? >

Janome quarter inch foot? Dual feed workaround?

Janome quarter inch foot? Dual feed workaround?

Old 11-19-2019, 07:55 PM

Nothing wobbles on mine. I think you got a dud. Return it while you can.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:58 PM

have you contacted a Janome dealer with your question about the 1/4" foot? I have an Elna, made by Janome, that is basically the Janome 7300--it has a great 1/4" foot with a flange and it also has a built in accufeed (walking foot). for $40 I was able to purchase a Janome 1/4" walking foot too--I do find that the 1/4" part isn't real accurate on it unless I move the needle(moveable needle is one of the features)over quit a bit.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
have you contacted a Janome dealer with your question about the 1/4" foot? I have an Elna, made by Janome, that is basically the Janome 7300--it has a great 1/4" foot with a flange and it also has a built in accufeed (walking foot). for $40 I was able to purchase a Janome 1/4" walking foot too--I do find that the 1/4" part isn't real accurate on it unless I move the needle(moveable needle is one of the features)over quit a bit.
I figured I'd call Janome to see if the foot wobble is normal. I've been looking at videos of the 6700 and see some foot wobble.

I'm also looking at Juki machines......If I'm going into the over $2000 category, I should have a look at the Kirei, which has the less bulky dual feed that looks like Pfaff
Old 11-20-2019, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
Nothing wobbles on mine. I think you got a dud. Return it while you can.
Indefinitely! I bought it at Costco. Of course, I try not to keep things like this for more than a month or two if I think I might return it.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:48 AM

Teresa, I hear you on working with dealers being stressful sometimes. I happened to be on the Kens Sewing Center website and saw a traded-in 6700P for $1500. I also saw a mention of returns through 1/31. Perhaps call them and see how they sound to you. They are known for friendly, responsive customer service. You can always hang up if it sounds like it is not for you. Just another option to throw in the mix.
I also agree about it being hard to return to your older machines, even though they have some good qualities, once you get used to the new ones.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:15 AM

Just looked online for the quarter inch foot with a guide for the Janome 6650. It is available from several dealers. Just "google" the words: quarter inch foot with guide for the Janome 6650, and the pictures as well as dealers will come up. Also, do you have differential feed on your machine? If you do, making some adjustments there may help you. I have the 9400 and it comes with a special HP plate and foot that gives me a perfect "scant" 1/4" seam every time; it also has the 1/4" foot with a guide (9mm). I wish you well in getting a solution that will work for you.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:47 AM

I have a Janome 6600MC and it came with a 1/4" foot but I bought it used so don't know if that was an extra purchase for the foot or not by the previous owner. I don't have trouble getting my 1/4" seam but I do sew just a couple of threads away from the 1/4" guide in order to get a good 1/4" seam.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:53 PM

Thanks for the idea, Sharon! I actually broke down and talked to two dealers. One offered me a super good price on a new 6700, but I walked away because they were too far away to really give me the "local dealer" benefit. They also overstated Janome's warranty (which I knew in advance wasn't true) and couldn't put their own warranty in writing, said it was 3 years, but couldn't say on what. Then I visited a more local Janome dealership, actually told them about the offer, they offered me the same price, but I ended up walking away from them too because the floor machine was super finicky while I was there. And I also found that the Accufeed doesn't work well for my piecing style.

So......

I learned that the "wobbliness" of my 1/4 inch clear sewing foot ISN'T normal and it's because it sits looser than normal in the ankle. I'm going to call Janome tomorrow and see if they'll send me a new shank/foot holder/ankle (depending on which terminology you like). If they won't readily do so, I'll talk to Costco about getting a replacement 6650 machine.

But meanwhile, I bought an amazing ruler set at the local sewing machine place. AH-MAYZING. And had so much fun with the new machine when I got home. I may end up relegating this machine to a FMQ-only machine, but it will be the bestest FMQ machine ! And honestly, I prefer red to beige anyway.

Thanks for the idea!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-22-2019 at 04:14 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 11-21-2019, 07:55 PM

Thanks for the idea, Sharon! I actually broke down and talked to two dealers. One offered me a super good price on a new 6700, but I walked away because they were too far away to really give me the "local dealer" benefit. They also overstated Janome's warranty (which I knew in advance wasn't true) and couldn't put their own warranty in writing, said it was 3 years, but couldn't say on what. Then I visited a more local Janome dealership, actually told them about the offer. They offered me the same price, but I ended up walking away from them too because the floor machine was super finicky while I was there. And I also found that the Accufeed doesn't work well for my piecing style.

So......

I learned in the process of this shopping that the "wobbliness" of my 1/4 inch clear sewing foot normal and it's because it sits looser than normal in the ankle. I'm going to call Janome tomorrow and see if they'll send me a new shank/foot holder/ankle (depending on which terminology you like). If they won't readily do so, I'll talk to Costco about getting a replacement 6650 machine.

But meanwhile, I bought an amazing ruler set at the local sewing machine place. And had so much fun with the new machine when I got home. I may end up relegating this machine to a FMQ-only machine, but it will be the bestest FMQ machine EVER! And honestly, I prefer red to beige anyway.

Thanks for the idea!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-22-2019 at 04:14 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 11-21-2019, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by FoxyLady View Post
Just looked online for the quarter inch foot with a guide for the Janome 6650. It is available from several dealers. Just "google" the words: quarter inch foot with guide for the Janome 6650, and the pictures as well as dealers will come up. Also, do you have differential feed on your machine? If you do, making some adjustments there may help you. I have the 9400 and it comes with a special HP plate and foot that gives me a perfect "scant" 1/4" seam every time; it also has the 1/4" foot with a guide (9mm). I wish you well in getting a solution that will work for you.
I missed this response. Thank you! No, the 6650 doesn't have differential feed.

The clear foot I bought that "wobbles" in the holder is a 1/4 inch foot with guide. Some said the OA foot (that you've described) produced a better 1/4 inch seam, some said the clear foot was better. Since I loved my Pfaff clear foot, I decided to try the Janome clear foot. (My 6650 didn't ship with a quarter inch foot at all, although it does ship with excellent free motion feet, go figure).

After trying machines at dealerships, plus trying other feet on my machine and finding they also wobble too much, I think I've determined that my foot holder is defective, causing feet to wobble more than normal when sewing. I didn't notice before buying the 1/4 inch foot that the other feet wobble, because I wasn't attempting to get a perfect 1/4 inch seam with them.

I tried the HP foot a bit at the dealerships and it wasn't as great for me. I really need that seam guide since my eyes leave a bit to be desired. My eyes are just a bit out of "alignment" making it difficult to see when I'm sewing a straight line. The seam guide makes it so I don't have to strain my eyes so hard.

I hope you get a chance to try the HP2 foot. It's a dual feed foot in the same style as the HP foot. It was packaged so I didn't try it, but it looks pretty nice.