Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Broken spoke hand wheel, Singer 27 >

Broken spoke hand wheel, Singer 27

Broken spoke hand wheel, Singer 27

Old 11-20-2019, 04:07 PM

Default Broken spoke hand wheel, Singer 27

Here is my latest purchase from Shopgoodwill. Its a Singer model 27 L67022 built in 1901. I knew the front slide plates was missing but the hand wheel was in one piece in the pictures. I believe the wheel was broken before they put it in the box because there is a piece of the jigsaw puzzle missing . There was no damage to the outside of the shipping box. On a positive note all of the springs are there and intact. I am not interested in shipping it back, so does anyone have any advice on how to complain to shop goodwill, and what sort of remedy
should I ask for?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]619984[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails singer-27.jpg  
Old 11-20-2019, 05:09 PM

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Help/Fa...uring-shipping
When you contact the seller, include photos of the damage. If you can find a replacement vintage handwheel listing on eBay, include that listing and price, explain that rather than return, ask them to cover the cost of the replacement item. The seller likely has more flexibility than what is stated in the FAQs.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:18 PM

And the good news is that hand wheels are usually easy to replace. People who sell repop hand cranks also often have repop hand wheels, too.

good luck. It will be a honey. Does it have a shuttle and bobbins?
Old 11-20-2019, 06:07 PM

WIchix thanks for the help. I looked at eBay. A replacement vintage hand wheel would be around $20.00 plus shipping I will include that and a photo when i open a case with shop goodwill.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:27 PM

Leon, No shuttle or bobbins with this one but I do have extra from another machine. My main reason for buying this one, Its a 1901 (thats the oldest one I have) and it had so much nickel plate left on it. I think I'll try some J.B. weld on it. Just need to figure out how to clamp it until the glue sets.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:47 AM

Strap wrench around the circumference and spacers under the hub? It will have to be very precise. if not it will wobble like crazy. especailly if you have a motor on it.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:57 AM

I once had access to a VSM junkyard. Ugly handwheels, but they would work. I bought all the Singer's and have used them. [ATTACH=CONFIG]620019[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails marion-handwheels-b.jpg  
Old 11-22-2019, 10:54 AM

Before purchasing a repro, check. I believe there is a difference in number of spokes and circumference of shaft opening
Old 11-22-2019, 03:03 PM

I don't know how it is in the US but I would be on the lookout for a wreck of a machine with a spoked wheel. Dumpsters, old barns, even charity shops may have used up machines rusty and all on which you could salvage the handwheel.
I have a 127 with a mangled bed and a 15-75 which looks liked it had been used as a target for a medieval flail which I got for free and which I use as parts machines for bits and bobs...
Old 11-22-2019, 05:18 PM

I have bought "parts machines" before. The problem is I can't bring myself to part them out. I even feel guilty buying parts online knowing they where stripped from a machine I might have gotten to sew again. Here is a parts machine I bought not long ago.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]620077[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]620078[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]620079[/ATTACH]

As bad as this looks it is now a working sewing machine. Every thing cleaned up in a bucket of evapo-rust including the shuttle and bobbin inside. The bobbing thread could not be saved. The only part I couldn't repair was one spring on the bobbin winder. It will still wind a bobbin even with the bent spring it just needs to be nursed along.
Attached Thumbnails singer27rusty1.jpg   singer27rusty2.jpg   singer27rusty3.jpg