Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I want a new sewing machine! >

I want a new sewing machine!

I want a new sewing machine!

Old 12-17-2019, 07:49 AM

Default I want a new sewing machine!

[h=6]Rate this Entry[/h]<form action="https://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/" method="post" id="blog_blograte_form" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"></form>

0 Comments
by Sew Sew Creations
, Today at 08:06 AM (8 Views)
I currently have a Janome 2012 which I bought seven years ago. I have gotten very active in sewing quilts for the past four years. I plan on learning Free Motion Quilting. I am wanting to update my machine. I have it narrowed down to a Baby Lock Crescendo and a Viking Epic 980Q. They both have the longer throat for free motion quilting. I have been to the dealers twice to learn about them. I would like your pros and cons that you have about them. It is a good investment so I want to know other things that I am not thinking about.
Tags: None

Old 12-17-2019, 10:22 AM

I have never used either machine so I am not familiar with them. I think you are correct to got to a dealer to test the machines. A good dealer will help you get the most out of your machine as well as do regular tune ups. A good dealer is very important.
Old 12-18-2019, 05:49 AM

I'm not familiar with those machines either but I do have another Husquvarna Viking that I have been using for about the last 15 years. It is electronic and has been a workhorse with zero problems the entire time.
Old 12-18-2019, 06:09 AM

I have the C*rescendo machine and love the features. The WF has different feet options; open toe, SITD, couching, and the 1/4 inch guide. Laser light and the needle move features are helpful. Button hole foot and button foot work well. It is one of my go-to machines.

The Aria is right below with the same features without the laser light.

You can save your favorite stitches to a memory pocket too.

You will need the XXL tutto bag for it to fit in if you want to load from the top of the bag.

Check the BL website for features and videos.
Old 12-18-2019, 06:10 AM
mkc

Are both machines at the same dealer or different dealers? If different, do consider the dealer support aspect of the machine if the machines feel similar to you.

I'm not directly familiar with either machine, and while not scientific, a Google search turns up lots and lots of actual quilter discussions on the Crescendo and nothing but marketing and "influencer" YouTube videos on the Viking. The latter are a particular turn-off to me, as nearly all these "influencers" receive compensation related to putting videos out there. It's actually their job to produce these things yet appear to be "independently helpful".

That said, both are quite pricey machines, and if your primary goal is to learn FMQ, you might want to consider something at a lower price point. For FMQ, more bells and whistles aren't necessary; FMQ is essentially straight stitch.

Last edited by mkc; 12-18-2019 at 06:13 AM.
Old 12-18-2019, 08:54 AM

Thanks for your thoughts. I am working with two different dealers. I took a class learning the about the Viking, so that was very helpful. My concern with the baby lock was that the shop owner couldn't explain the machine to me, I worked with the repair man. He was great to work with. I do like some of the other features like appliques and love the bells and whistles, I am afraid to say. The viking is in my home town and the baby lock is 100 miles away to where family lives. I will google the crescendo to see what they are saying. Thank you!
Old 12-18-2019, 08:59 AM

Is the laser light as good as it is promoted? It looks neat, but I am not sure that I would use it as much as I think I would. It is a better price than the viking. I am just sorting out what will make me happy in the long run. It's like I would buy something with all the extras and then I don't use them all. I am terrible at that.
Old 12-18-2019, 01:27 PM

I would read the following reviews on the the two machines
https://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi...panyID=9&Type=
and reach for the other at the same location due to their large number of machine reviews.
Old 12-18-2019, 01:48 PM

Yes, I use it all the time.

The sensor pen also allows pin point placement of stitches. It also calculates stitch length when ending at specific points. Good luck on your decision.
Old 12-18-2019, 02:58 PM

I have the brother version of the unity wich is the crescendo with embroidery I have had it 7 years no issues. It is a lovely machine. I would research svp the company that owns singer pfaff and viking. While they are great machines I have recently seen people unable to get parts for popular models that only 2 years old so just be careful with your decision. I haven't felt the need for classes for mine. The manual is thorough and it is easy to use.