Attn: hand embroiderers!

Old 01-03-2020, 06:40 AM

Default Attn: hand embroiderers!

Is there a way to prevent possibly old embroidery threads from bleeding? My sweet Mom did several pieces probably using old thread & I want to make the family pillowcases with her pieces & am afraid the thread will run? I heard or read where soaking in vinegar water would help? TIA!!!!
Old 01-03-2020, 11:37 AM

I don't know about the vinegar soak. Honestly, I don't know that I've ever had embroidery thread/floss bleed. Even pieces I worked on 40-50 years ago, when washed, did not bleed. I would suggest a light wash in a tub or sink with cold water and a bit of Dawn liquid dish soap. Just swish around a bit then rinse with cold water as well. And to dry I would gently squeeze, just by pressing flat in the tub/sink most of the water out of the piece and then roll in a towel. Let stand in the towel for a bit until it absorbs most of the water then continue to dry by laying flat. Iron from the back side.
Old 01-03-2020, 02:09 PM

I have many very old pieces of embroidered linen, none of them have ever bled in the wash. Try a colour catcher if are worried.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:42 PM

I too have never had a problem with older pieces bleeding. On recent pieces I have had no bleeding issues either. Some of the linens I have are 50+ years old and still in routine use and I can't recall any of them ever bleeding
Old 01-03-2020, 04:47 PM

To be sure, take a bit of soapy water onto a Q-tip and lightly rub it onto the most inconspicuous spot on the embroidery. If there is color on the Q-tip, the dye is likely to run. However, I agree with the folks above; I've never had floss run, and I've had some very old embroidered pieces handed down to me.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:42 AM

I have carefully soaked them in Retayne. I have had bleed. I just set the color as I would in fabric

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-08-2020 at 08:33 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 01-08-2020, 10:37 AM

I have had red thread bleed but no other color. Not sure that I ever did anything about it - just tried to avoid using it. At the time RedWork was very popular but I wasn't doing that.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:51 AM

Thanks so much for all the responses. Think I'll give a 'color catcher' a try....