Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt with a story >

Quilt with a story

Quilt with a story

Old 01-03-2020, 06:07 PM

Default Quilt with a story

Eighteen years my daughter and I took a $5 quilting class. If some of you are unfamiliar with a $5 quilt -- it is when a quilting store provides you with a pattern and fabric to make a block for $5. Each month; thereafter, if you finish that block and bring it back finished the next month, you will then receive the block for the next month free, and so on for 12 months. If you miss the monthly class and don't bring back your finished block, you have to pay another $5 for that month's pattern and fabric and so on and so on.
Anyway I finished all my 12 blocks within the twelve months, so it only cost me $5 for 12 blocks. My daughter kept up until the last month didn't attend as she was pregnant and not feeling well. I couldn't pick up her block for her (rules). She didn't make that square and her 11 blocks have been in my fabric stash all these years. She just never got it made (4 kids later). So this year her 15 year old daughter and I finished it for her for Christmas. I had to come up with fabric to finish her last block, Granddaughter put the sashing and borders on and I quilted and bound it. So here it is. She was quite pleased with the gift.
Well guess there won't be any picture as I can't pull up the picture on my IPad like I used to. Sorry. If you read the story, thank you as it got quite long.
Spoiler

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-04-2020 at 04:47 AM. Reason: trying to remove Spoiler... can't seem to
Old 01-03-2020, 06:14 PM

What a great story!!!!
I hope you can post a photo soon!
Old 01-03-2020, 06:33 PM
Power Poster

Awwww .... and what a nice story!
So sweet that her daughter was part of the finishing.

Were you able to keep it a surprise, until your daughter opened it up?

Hope you can figure out the picture posting how-to, so that we can all see this special quilt.

Old 01-03-2020, 07:04 PM
Power Poster

I haven’t even tried to post a picture, just text. I will wait until they fix the QB format, which I hope will be soon.
We had something similar in my area and I did 3 years of it maybe 10 years ago? I am finally finishing the last one with FMQing. I am sure your daughter was delighted to finally see it finished.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:22 PM
Power Poster

I'm looking forward to seeing the picture too.

I took part in a similar guild BOM, but in my case we made two blocks each month, one from the fabrics that the quilt store provided, and another from our stash. We returned the block from our own fabrics to the quilt store, and at the end of the year the quilt store took all those blocks and put them together so that each person who finished the 12 months got a set of blocks that more or less matched, plus the blocks that they had made from the quilt store's fabrics. It was a fun project, and I would do it again.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:04 PM

What a sweet story!

I have a quilting friend who has a similar story. She has a daughter, when the daughter was maybe 8 or 9, her mom (my friend) started teaching her to sew and quilt. The daughter made a simple but pretty quilt, just squares of fabrics she liked, sewn together in a simple pattern. It got put aside for quilting "later" which then became "someday" and was eventually forgotten about. Fast forward many years, daughter is now grown, married, expecting first baby. At the baby shower my friend gave her daughter the forgotten first quilt; she had quilted it, bound it, and put a label on the back. When the daughter opened it, her mom said "Bet you didn't know you were making your own child's baby quilt" there wasn't a dry eye in the room.
Old 01-04-2020, 02:39 AM

How wonderful you and your granddaughter were able to finish the quilt for your daughter.

My LQS still does a program like that but I think it's up to $20 for your first block. I did the program for several years. Just finished quilting those tops this past summer.
Old 01-04-2020, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

Great story...would love to see pic.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:02 AM

Great story. A quilt a long time in the making. I bet you daughter was absolutely thrilled with this gift. I am sure she was impressed to tears that her daughter also help to finish this precious gift.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:22 AM
Power Poster

do you have a photo on your computer? if so, go to reply and Go Advanced. don't forgot to click Upload button too.