Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone making the Circa 1880 quilt? >

Anyone making the Circa 1880 quilt?

Anyone making the Circa 1880 quilt?

Old 01-04-2020, 12:44 PM

Default Anyone making the Circa 1880 quilt?

I recently found the Circa 1880 quilt pattern and have fallen in love with it! I'm just starting the quilt and am waiting for fabrics and the pattern to come in the mail. Is anyone here making this quilt? I'd love to hear from you! There is a picture here for those wondering what it looks like. It has 2" blocks throughout the entire quilt.

Last edited by Christine-; 01-04-2020 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-04-2020, 02:05 PM

It is a pretty quilt and should be easy to construct. I have made quilts that have this block in it before and I am sure you will have a lot of fun.
Old 01-04-2020, 02:39 PM
Power Poster

Nice quilt and will be whether using 1880'ish fabrics or more modern ones. Lots of Options!

Though I am a bit confused ... you mentioned it uses 2" blocks throughout ...
... yet I see rectangles and two sizes of squares. Or am I looking at the wrong quilt?
Old 01-04-2020, 03:25 PM
Power Poster

Ohhhh I love that quilt!!!!
Patterns like that one are so charming to me.
I wish I could clone myself so I could make every quilt I want lol
Old 01-04-2020, 03:39 PM
Power Poster

Talking

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Nice quilt and will be whether using 1880'ish fabrics or more modern ones. Lots of Options!

Though I am a bit confused ... you mentioned it uses 2" blocks throughout ...
... yet I see rectangles and two sizes of squares. Or am I looking at the wrong quilt?
Hey friend! I think the finished block is 2" which means that center square is 1" and the side bars and corners measure 1/2" finished! Lots and lots of small pieces. I have been so tempted with this one, but have a couple small block big quilt projects started!

So QE, what option are you going to do?
Old 01-04-2020, 07:23 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
..........So QE, what option are you going to do?
hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!
Funny lady you are, dear friend!

Definitely a quilt I can see doing as a scrappy project ..... someday!
I even have a perfect background fabric. A whole bolt that I got at a LQS closing.

So now, do tell us the truth ...... which version is going to be your 20-20 project!!

Old 01-05-2020, 05:35 AM

Yes, I'm about 2/3 rds of the way through. I had posted pictures on a previous thread, a Virtual Quilting Weekend from maybe early November (?). I have no idea what your piecing experience is, but I had never made blocks this small before. Precision is the key - any little bit "off" in your seam allowance or cutting will be very visible in the tiny blocks. I would suggest joining the Facebook group and reading posts from the beginning. If you have questions or need help, the members there are very helpful. I joined a program from Primitive Gatherings fabric and they ship one packet per month with six light and six medium/dark fabrics. I don't think they are allowing any new sign-ups there but you should be able to contact Pam Buda and find a shop still active.

Starch, Starch, Starch!! And I cut my strips a little oversize and press and trim after each seam. I started by assembling around 100 blocks, then sewing the setting triangles on those. Then sew those into units of two, then sew more tiny blocks with the fabric that arrived the next month. At this point I am assembling the blocks into the long rows, and I have a few of the rows sewn into panels of 4 rows. I am not in a hurry to finish, I still have three monthly fabric shipments to come and I want to save some space in the quilt for the new fabric.

It is a really fun project and I have learned a lot. I feel it has advance my piecing skills tremendously. Do it - you won't be sorry!!

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Nov 9-Nov 11, 2019

Last edited by LynnBBQ; 01-05-2020 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Add Board link
Old 01-05-2020, 05:47 AM

I just finished a pattern like this as my leaders/ender project, although I didn't have a pattern. Lovely ongoing project. My pieces were cut 1.5" wide.
Old 01-05-2020, 06:22 AM

I made the quilt. It is a lengthy process thoug nut hard. The little 9-patches are made using 1 1/2” strips ant then cut down to 2 1/2 “..finish at 2” when sewn into the quilt. I really enjoyed making it and also the 6 little quilts Pam Buda shared as we progressed. I made this with a group at a LQS which met once a month. I am naturally competitive and mine was finished first. The shop won a first place award which competed with quilt shops across the country.
Attached Thumbnails f4b04689-8295-48df-b3d0-9527c0f400aa.jpeg  
Old 01-05-2020, 07:26 AM

Wow Sharon, your quilt is beautiful.

Lynn, thank you so much for the advice. I just bought a large jug of starch last night and plan to starch well. What kind of starch did you use? And if you used liquid, what was the amount you mixed with water?