Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wandering Geese Pattern...hints? >

Wandering Geese Pattern...hints?

Wandering Geese Pattern...hints?

Old 01-08-2020, 08:40 AM

Default Wandering Geese Pattern...hints?

I'm wondering if anyone has ever done this pattern and if you have any tips?

I am taking a class for this but am really bad at Flying Geese and can use all the help I can get as it is a lot of fabric if I mess it up. 5 -1/4 yards of 5 different colours,(25 1/4 yards in all!) plus the background (2 1/4 yards) .

Wandering Geese pattern

Thanks, Watson
Old 01-08-2020, 08:55 AM

I have the greatest success with flying geese when I sew a full square to the fully rectangle and then trim off the extra. It is so much easier. Do you have a little bit more waste? Yes.... but I will take that over frustration and remaking any day. Just my personal opinion.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:05 AM

4 at a time method and a tucker trimmer will be your friend.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:06 AM
mim

I also like to sew a full square and then cut. Be sure to sew along the outer side of the diagonal line you drew. It makes a difference when you open it up. The pattern looks interesting

with all the colors.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:10 AM

Working on a bunch of FG right now.
I'm using the no waste method with the Bloc Loc ruler.
https://media.rainpos.com › no_waste...20170816113455
Old 01-08-2020, 09:11 AM

Can someone link me to the full square method?

Eazy Peazy, your link doesn't work.

Watson
Old 01-08-2020, 09:13 AM

Do a couple quick math calculations. Depending on the size of the geese, if they are small I prefer the rectangle plus two squares method where you sew the diagonal and cut off the extra. With the geometry of triangles and such, for small units there is barely any more waste than cutting triangles.

Other people do other techniques, there are many ways to make geese. Some depend on your project or your fabric or your tools.

My other option for geese is correct sized geese triangles but oversized triangles. I'm using that in the Bonnie Hunter project. Posted a picture here:
Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery
edit: Other people in that thread are also sharing their problems and solutions/techniques.

Although I used to be all about precision and that sort of stuff, I've had to relax a bit as my vision gets worse. What I've found is that cutting larger does not lead to a whole lot of waste, rarely do I ever have to cut more than one extra strip to accommodate an extra quarter to half-inch per unit. The speed and accuracy (and therefore fun factor) I get by my slicing and dicing and then yes, the extra trimming step, is worth it to me.

Even still, I came up with 90% perfection, 5% ok, and 5% funky little monkeys. The good thing is that the unit size is correct so it will be easy to work with, but there are a couple of points that will be cut off or mountains that lean towards one side or the other.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:25 AM

Flying Geese just take a bit of practice then you will wonder why you found it so difficult. I struggles for a long time with them until I did a full size quilt in them and by the middle of the quilt I wondered why I ever struggled. The pattern you are working with is so pretty and bright. I am confident that you will be very successful.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:31 AM

I have been avoiding flying geese like the plague as my first attempt was a disaster. Finally broke down and tried again. Used the four at a time method with the Wing Clipper (which I think is the same as the Tucker Trimmer) and it made a huge difference. Over 100 units and although all were not perfect, all were useable. It is a very simple tool but it made a big difference for me.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:03 AM
Power Poster

I consider myself a very adept and confident FG maker. I have made thousands of them. By every method out there from traditional cutting triangles from templates to the two squares and a rectangle to the no waste method. Because I tend to gravitate to patterns that have FG units I invested in the Deb Tucker Wing Clipper tool. By far the best most accurate way to create FG units and well worth the small investment. https://www.amazon.com/Clipper-quilting-Flying-Geese-Units/dp/B01H9EA086/ref=asc_df_B01H9EA086/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=193987317966&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5249602080279293881&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1022672&hvtargid=aud-800640527683la-309633260060&psc=1