View Single Post
Old 01-02-2020, 07:54 AM
Iceblossom

For those of us cutting large and trimming down or others having problems with these geese, here's what I'm doing. First, I whined and groaned yesterday about the geese and my fabric and figured out a way to work around it in a way that works for me. My apologies if it doesn't help your particulars, I really wish sometimes I had chosen nice easy prints to work with so I have some concerns the rest of you don't need to worry about.

Once again, my mental count was wrong. I got confused with the number of finished sets and that I would need 4 squares of each fabric per set. I'll have to cut more but I have more fabric so that's not an issue.

So, I decided to go ahead and keep cutting my oversized HST squares for this step the same size I've been doing all along. I cut my squares in an X to Bonnie's measurement in the previous step and that is my constant. So I overlay my oversized triangles to give me a nice bit to trim down. Again, I'm using a quilting foot that is 1/4" on both sides, so for machines that suck down points, give this a go. If your foot isn't good for it, I do suggest you draw the lines or at least put some tape down on your machine to mark the edge.

Sorry for the ugly fabric that came up first and the poor contrast on the backgrounds. So the pictures are:
One set getting ready for sewing
Stitched alternating sides so points don't get sucked down
Side two on
Finished goose, untrimmed on top, trimmed on bottom
Attached Thumbnails 100_5459.jpg   100_5460.jpg   100_5461.jpg   100_5462.jpg