Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fabric included in kits question >

fabric included in kits question

fabric included in kits question

Old 01-09-2020, 03:28 PM

Default fabric included in kits question

My very first kit...after a katrillion years quilting I've made the first two blocks, and there is So much fabric left from each block, is this normal? I've read the instructions many times, it doesn't say anywhere where I'll need that fabric later, and each block is in it's own baggie with fabric...

If I'm really seeing this right, I'd like to use those leftovers as a I go along for a complicated border...or two!What do you think, is it safe to do so?
I did find in the 2nd block one of the pink fabrics was missing, but it's 1800's and I have stuff to fill in with if this happens again. But do they Really include so much extra fabric? I'd say each block has used less than a 1/4 of what is in the baggie.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:56 PM

My limited experience is yes, there was a lot of extra fabric.
Old 01-09-2020, 04:12 PM

If you are doing the Tara Block of the Month (I got mine from Connecting Threads), it does tell you to save the fabric left from each month as it will be used in a subsequent month.
Old 01-09-2020, 04:43 PM

I've made several kits in my lifetime & some come with just barely enough fabric & others come with lots of extra. I've never made a BOM so I can't really comment on your issue. However, when I've ordered kits from Connecting Threads for things like table runners I always seem to have a lot of extra fabric left over.
Since you are hoping to use the leftovers for borders can't you just set aside the left overs until it is border time & if you haven't needed them by then I would say it's safe to go ahead & make the borders with the leftovers (since borders are one of the last things you make on the quilt top).
Old 01-09-2020, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by osewme View Post
I've made several kits in my lifetime & some come with just barely enough fabric & others come with lots of extra. I've never made a BOM so I can't really comment on your issue. However, when I've ordered kits from Connecting Threads for things like table runners I always seem to have a lot of extra fabric left over.
Since you are hoping to use the leftovers for borders can't you just set aside the left overs until it is border time & if you haven't needed them by then I would say it's safe to go ahead & make the borders with the leftovers (since borders are one of the last things you make on the quilt top).
I think that's a great way to proceed...
Old 01-09-2020, 05:35 PM

I have only done one kit in my quilting journey and it was just about the right amount...not much left over. KalamaQuilts, let us know how it works out.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:18 PM

This is a block of the month from some years ago, maybe calling it a kit is a misnomer? Each block is in a baggie with its own fabric. I’ll make a few more blocks, but I think I’ll live on the edge and work along on piecing a border as I go!

I miss being able to make smilies..exclamation points just don’t cut it!
Old 01-09-2020, 06:34 PM
Power Poster

Years ago my Daughter got me a quilt kit from connecting threads. the fabric included was very generous. I had enough to make two good sized quilt tops.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:14 PM

I would recommend you hold on to that extra fabric until you have all the blocks finished. I don't do kits very often--tend to buy them and set aside and then work on a year or two later. Anyway, did two last year and had plenty left, working on one from Connecting Threads and while their 2 jelly rolls were more than enough, the yardage just did not come close to being enough. Luckily it's a blender!
Old 01-10-2020, 07:05 AM

Both the kits I ordered were quite generous with the fabric. On one I had so much I used the fabric to make two completely different quilts.

I think it is good will on the suppliers part because a large percentage of quilters will not get to that kit for quite a while and the fabric will be long gone in the event you make errors and require more. I purchased both my kits on clearance but have noticed there is usually quite a premium at regular price, even taking into consideration the pattern cost.