Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fabric included in kits question >

fabric included in kits question

fabric included in kits question

Old 01-10-2020, 07:31 AM

I have only done one kit in my 30+ years of quilting and that was last summer. It was a kit I picked up at a garage sale and there was barely enough to finish the quilt. I have to say that the kit looked complete when I purchased it for $1.00 and the top is very pretty. I haven't finished it yet but there is no fabric for a border. I am thinking about adding a border but that is on my to do list.
I have not done any BOTM month kits. I do have one sitting here from years ago but since I only have a single block it is in the stack of "put with a scrappy quilt someday" pile.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:50 AM
Power Poster

Different shops cut/ package kits differently, some just barely give you enough, so any litter error you are screwed, some are quite generous. The best thing to do is complete the top as instructed and if you have enough leftovers go ahead and create your border with them.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
Different shops cut/ package kits differently, some just barely give you enough, so any litter error you are screwed, some are quite generous. The best thing to do is complete the top as instructed and if you have enough leftovers go ahead and create your border with them.
I agree with ckcowl. I have never bought a quilt kit but I have bought wool applique kits and they are very stingy and in some cases I have even been shorted a piece. I think if you only used 1/4 of the fabric provided to make a block that they may just call for that fabric again in one of the other blocks or possibly sashing as those instructions are usually given at the very end of the BOM and the fabric it isn't kitted with the other block(s) and or sashing or setting strips or cornerstones that use it.

I always wait until my top center portion is completed before making any borders, pieced or one solid run of fabric. Too many variables from error in pattern to piecing inconsistencies that could result in a slightly different measurement in the top. If the border is pieced I want to know what final size I need before piecing it so if I need to "fudge" a seam allowance I can decide the most inconspicuous place to put the fudge.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
This is a block of the month from some years ago, maybe calling it a kit is a misnomer? Each block is in a baggie with its own fabric. I’ll make a few more blocks, but I think I’ll live on the edge and work along on piecing a border as I go!

I miss being able to make smilies..exclamation points just don’t cut it!
I mis being able to make smilies too. ...normally I would smile right here....

Dina
Old 01-10-2020, 01:54 PM
Power Poster

The only kits I've ever bought are from Craftsy, now Bluprint. They sent way more fabric than I needed. Having said this though, I would wait until it's finished to use the fabric for something else.
Old 01-10-2020, 03:26 PM

I found smilies but don’t know how I got here really. It was something Patrice said to do to stop the “leave page” error.
I 🤔 think. I’m on my iPad though, I think I just ended up with a blank box when I did the same thing on the laptop.

anyway, thanks for all the experienced insight. I appreciate the help!