Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ever bought a new machine and then regretted it? >

Ever bought a new machine and then regretted it?

Ever bought a new machine and then regretted it?

Old 01-21-2020, 04:46 PM

When I bought my Janome MC 6600P I wanted a basic good quilting machine. My research said it was the MC6600. It was on sale and came with the Janome set in table. When I got it home I set it up and looked at the manual then decided to wait until I had my first lesson. Up until this time I had only used older Singers and a Europro. I was so sure I had made a mistake getting one with so many stitches. And when I was at the dealer the lady helping me understood my concern so didn't try to talk me into a more detailed machine. In fact, she said if I kept the box I had 6 months to trade up at the full value. I dithered about my large purchase until after my first 2 classes and started to feel comfortable with the machine. Luckily I do love my machine - in CA you do have 3 days for a cooling off period - so I did think about returning it, but glad I did not.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:16 PM
Power Poster

Sort of.
I bought a Juki TL2010Q that is a great machine and I love it. I bought it for FMQ but then about a year later
I upgraded my Bernina to a 770 QE and that thing is amazing!
I haven't sold my Juki though. I keep it for piecing if I'm FMQ ing on my Bernina or vice-versa.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:37 PM

Not yet...I am a pretty frugal shopper and always do my homework first. I not only take a test drive but check many of the reviews before making a decision. Too bad we couldn’t apply the same experience with husbands. I am on number 2 LOL
Old 01-21-2020, 06:14 PM

Not really. The new machines I've bought in recent history were 2 Berninas (1630 and 180) and a Juki 2200 QVP Mini. My only regret is that I traded in the 1630 when I bought the 180. I wish I'd kept it.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:34 PM

Yes--2! I bought both myself and my daughter Singer's from Tues Morning that were lightweight and computerized. Both had issues--mine had a bent pick-up hook, but even after repaired, they both were very touchy about how the bobbin was wound. My daughter really struggled and wanted to give up sewing. So I traded them both in and bought a Brother Simplicity for travel and when we go to retreats together I bring it, my good Elna, and my daughter brings her super inexpensive Brother as the spare. If you aren't liking it cause it doesn't work well,get rid of it and don't become frustrated!
Old 01-21-2020, 06:40 PM
Power Poster

I highly recommend lessons on any new machine. Getting familiar with your machine can make all the difference.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:33 PM

In 2014 I purchased a Bernina 710. The machine is great but there is so much more on it than I will use. Or use once then not again for a year or more. That is my regret. I probably should have gotten 1 with fewer bells & whistles.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:50 PM

I didn't buy the machine it was gifted to me and I love that machine problem is I broke it trying to give it a good cleaning. It's a treadle machine and I can't find anyone to come to my house to fix it. Obviously it is not something you can throw in the car and find a repair shop, so there she sits and every time my power goes out I really wish I could do something about it.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:55 AM

I had a Viking Rose which I loved but its motherboard finally gave up. So I bought a Juki with a large throat that everyone seems to love. It pieced and free motion quilted well, but I just could not get the walking foot to quilt well for me. I adjusted everything I could, but over the course of a week of struggle, I still didn't like the result. So I returned it and got an Elna Excellence 720 very much like my old Rose (which they don't make anymore). I'm happy.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:14 AM

Why did you hate it right away? Because it was so very different from the one you had been using? When I first got my Janome MC6500 it scared me to death because I had ordered it online without trying it out first in a dealership.. Plus it has so many bells and whistles...would I ever learn it all? Scary! But I gave it a chance, and while I still don't use all the bells and whistles it provides, I am more comfortable with it. The only thing to be scared of was my fear in the long run. Have faith and use the machine...you may grow to love it.