Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ever bought a new machine and then regretted it? >

Ever bought a new machine and then regretted it?

Ever bought a new machine and then regretted it?

Old 01-22-2020, 04:27 AM

I've never regretting buying a brand new machine - though I have gone through the "too scared to use it" situation a few times .

I've rarely regretting buying any machine soon after I made the purchase, though now I really regret buying so many vintage machines - but that is the typical collector syndrome!

Old 01-22-2020, 04:55 AM

The only machine I regret on some level is a vintage Dressmaker machine I bought for $35 at an antique mall. It is super-cute but I did not realize at the time that it is a left-needle machine. I only make quilts, so I need a 1/4" seam but it is so hard to get with a left-needle machine. Oh well.... for $35 it can sit and look vintage.

I have been to shops and got so caught up in the demonstrations of the new machines that I nearly talked myself into getting one. But after thinking for an hour on it, I remember that I only piece quilts and have zero interest in making clothes or home decorating items or embroidery stuff. So I don't need anything they are pushing on the $5000 to $15,000 machines. I need something that will make a straight stitch and sometimes a zig-zag. Between my 1990's Bernina 1031 and my 1950's Singer 301 I am set for piecing. I do have a travel Janome machine inherited from my mother-in-law, and a Tiara II sit-down quilting machine. I thought I would regret the Tiara but it is one of the best purchases I have ever made.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:48 AM

I wanted a new machine when I started sewing again a few years ago. I bought a small Janome which works fine and would be a great class machine. It hasn't been used but a few times as about 6 months later, I purchased another brand embroidery machine. There were frequent classes at the dealer's store to attend and learn the machine too. Over the years, four other machines have made their way into my sewing room. I like the similar features, buttons, etc across the different models so use these machines the most.

No regrets though I should consider selling the one not used.

Old 01-22-2020, 07:55 AM

My parents bought me a Pfaff 362 sewing machine for my high school graduation in 1970. At the time I was so disappointed because I had wanted a much cheaper and lighter weight Singer that was mostly plastic. Over the years I sewed lots of clothes, curtains, drapes, chair cushions, and even a boat cover on that Pfaff and it's still running fine. Obviously my parents made the right choice choosing the heavy duty Pfaff over the light weight plastic machine.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:31 PM
LRM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
Sort of.
I bought a Juki TL2010Q that is a great machine and I love it. I bought it for FMQ but then about a year later
I upgraded my Bernina to a 770 QE and that thing is amazing!
I haven't sold my Juki though. I keep it for piecing if I'm FMQ ing on my Bernina or vice-versa.
Interesting to hear your thoughts. The Juki is what I thought I was going to buy. But for numerous reasons, I ended up with a Bernina 535.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:32 PM

Yes my handiquilter, not because I dont like it but because my schedule is so hectic i have no time to use so its been collecting dust for 2 years. Wish i would have waited until I had more time
Old 01-22-2020, 12:37 PM
LRM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
Why did you hate it right away? Because it was so very different from the one you had been using? When I first got my Janome MC6500 it scared me to death because I had ordered it online without trying it out first in a dealership.. Plus it has so many bells and whistles...would I ever learn it all? Scary! But I gave it a chance, and while I still don't use all the bells and whistles it provides, I am more comfortable with it. The only thing to be scared of was my fear in the long run. Have faith and use the machine...you may grow to love it.
The new machine is more computerized than my other Bernina. I've figured out how to use it, but the computer aspects get on my nerves a little. At this point I still like my older machine better - and that makes me second guess myself about whether it was worth the $$.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:33 PM

Yes and I kept it for more than 30 years until a nylon gear broke.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by LRM View Post
Ever bought a new machine and then regretted it? Did you keep it? Trade it in? Sell it?
Yes, it is sitting on my work table getting dusty. Loved it at first, but after a couple of months all of the problems started to appear. Nothing broken, but just not as easy to use as advertised. Special features were/are not so "special". I will just plug away and keep trying to establish a friendship with this piece of equipment. It is terrific for chain piecing, so that is a start! Right? :~)
Old 01-23-2020, 05:46 AM

Yes, but not new machines. Everytime DH and I go thrift store wandering or garage saleing, I tell him I do not need another machine. I usually end up with another machine, usually vintage. I have given several away after I cleaned them up a little. Afterall, who can resist a $10 bargain.