Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
5” squares on point for queen size quilt >

5” squares on point for queen size quilt

5” squares on point for queen size quilt

Old 01-30-2020, 10:12 PM

Default 5” squares on point for queen size quilt

I guess I’m hung up on a what should be a very easy question. I am wanting to start with 5” squares and make a queen size approximately 90” wide quilt with the squares on point. Can someone help me figure out how many squares wide my longest wide should be and the size of the corner and side setting squares should be?
Thanks
Old 01-31-2020, 04:09 AM

So, these are precut charm squares 5", and will finish at 4.5"?

Queen size is a rough concept, somewhere around 90x108".

The real math for determining a diagonal measurement of a square is 1.41 * side. For rough purposes (like determining yardage) round up to 1.5.

4.5 will be something yucky like 6.345... so 13 blocks across = 82, 14 = 88 . Keep in mind when you are on point you have the inner rows, so you will then also have 12 rows of those across. How many down depends on if you want a square or a rectangle.

You can use something like this for your setting and corner triangles:
http://www.quiltersparadiseesc.com/C...Calculator.php
Old 01-31-2020, 05:16 AM

A quilt of squares on point is really just rows of squares together. Start with one square in the corner on the bias, three in the next row, then five, seven, nine, etc until your quilt is wide enough. Then add more rows of that last number until it is long enough. Next, start adding shorter rows until you get to the that last row which will be one square. Now pick up a row of squares on the diagonal and sew them together.

After all the rows have been sewn, make the side triangles by cutting a large enough square into four from corner to corner both ways. Make the corners with two squares cut on the diagonal. This way, all bias edges are sewn onto the straight edges of the other squares and only straight grain is on the edge of the quilt.

Sew the triangles onto the rows where they need to be and then you can sew all those rows together in the correct order. The two end "one square rows" will have three triangles sewn to it.

I try to make my triangles a little larger so that there is a little "float". Then I put my ruler on the points of edge squares and cut about one half inch from the points. That way you have a little wiggle room so you don't cut off points.
Old 01-31-2020, 05:35 AM

I cant wait to see your completed quilt! I have made a number of quilts on point. One thing I did for ease of things was make quilt wider so I could cut down the center of the last row of out blocks to insure that the quilt did not stretch on the bias I then had a perfectly squared up quilt and perfect triangles to be use for flying geese for another project.
Old 01-31-2020, 02:07 PM

Default 5” squares on point

Thanks everyone. I think I need to draw it out so I can get an idea what a queen size would look like.
Old 01-31-2020, 02:40 PM

Sometimes we have to sort of fool ourselves, Terlyn. You might consider it as a 4-patch or maybe even a 9-patch, so that would be 4 charms finishing to 9" and then it's only half the number of squares! A 9-patch would be 13.5 inches and that wouldn't be bad at all.
Old 01-31-2020, 03:11 PM
Power Poster

I use graph paper a lot or ruler and mark my own measurements. helps seeing things!
Old 01-31-2020, 07:54 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

A queen batting is 90x108. That would be 14 across and 17 down. The setting triangles would be 7 5/8 exact; I would cut 7.75 and even the sides when squaring up. The corner square exact measurement is 41/8: I would do those at 4.25.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Krisb View Post
A queen batting is 90x108. That would be 14 across and 17 down. The setting triangles would be 7 5/8 exact; I would cut 7.75 and even the sides when squaring up. The corner square exact measurement is 41/8: I would do those at 4.25.
I agree with Krisb - what I would add is that the setting triangles will be a square cut twice on the diagonals and the four corners are a squares cut on one diagonal. That will give you outside edges that are on grain and not on the bias which will reduce stretchiness.

This one is 89x101. I did up quickly in EQ for you. Using 4.5" finished squares, there are 14 brown squares across and 16 rows of brown down. Ignoring the setting and corner triangles there are 13 tan squares across and 15 rows of tan squares. That is 419 squares total of brown and tan squares without considering the outside triangles. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails snap.jpg