Stop Motion problem

Old 02-01-2020, 05:56 AM

Default Stop Motion problem

Expert advice is needed! The stop motion knob loosens as I sew and the feed stops moving. My machine sews along then starts whining and the motor seems fine, but the stop motion knob loosens and I have to tighten it to resume sewing. I have removed and replaced the washer ears in, ears out, rotated it all of the 4 different ways it could be placed. Yes I greased it also. This is my machine: Cute clone! How much to pay?
Thanks!
Old 02-01-2020, 03:54 PM

I think you are i the right area. Take the stop motion knob off again and tighten it more snugly, then but the set screw into place.
It does take several tries sometime. Greasing the lobed washer is not necessary. I'd wipe that clean.
Old 02-01-2020, 04:29 PM

The "set screw" is not really a set screw, but an anti-rotational locating pin (w/threads.) Remove the pin completely and if you can tighten the locking knob enough to keep it tight, the toothed clutch washer is rotated to the "wrong" position. With the pin in, it stops the rotation of the locking knob so you can't overtighten it, and it won't come off completely when loose. In it's proper position (clutch washer) you'll have longer turn tightening the knob, and a short turn to loosen. Installed wrong the turn to tighten is short, with a long turn when loosening before it hits the stop. It's not getting tight enough when against the stop to overcome the intertia from starting and stopping. Teeth out- no grease on clutch washer, however the grease won't stop it from functioning properly- it just messy.

BTW- I just sold a 1514 (in cabinet) at an auction for $170. You done good on yours.

Last edited by oldmanquilts; 02-01-2020 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-01-2020, 05:46 PM

There is a good explanation of the Clamp Stop Motion Clamp Stop Screw which can be found at https://oldsingersewingmachineblog.c...nger-part-two/
Please note that some of the pictures are shown with Clamp Stop Motion Clamp Washer with it upside down (not the proper position) for showing the purpose of the Stop Screw.

Most sewing machine screws have a different thread than current USS, SAE & Metric threads. So you cannot go to the local hardware store. Unfortunately, Sew-Classic is out of stock at the moment https://shop.sew-classic.com/Screw-S...clones-248.htm but there should be one available at https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/sc...inger-248.aspx

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 02-02-2020, 01:50 PM

thanks oldmanquilts.
Can't believe I called it a set screw.. Duh.