Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt it myself or hire it done? >

Quilt it myself or hire it done?

Quilt it myself or hire it done?

Old 02-08-2020, 04:44 PM
Power Poster

I quilt my own quilts on a 9" throat machine. I make larger double size quilts at the biggest. Only quilting the center line up and down and side to side are a bit cumbersome. After that it is pretty easy.

I like to be able to say I made them myself. If I mess up it is my own fault.
Old 02-08-2020, 05:43 PM

so many considerations go into that question. How many quilts per year do you do? obviously the more you piece, the more cost sense it makes to buy a larger machine and quilt your own. Where do you live? some regions machine quilting is more costly. Here in the heart of the midwest simple panto or easy, less dense edge-to-edge start at 1 1/2 cents per sq inch and go up. Get ruler work, multiple thread colors, or involved designs that require more marking start at 2 1/2cents and go up, and very dense, microfills would either be added on to that custom price at a flat rate per hour or sends up the price per square inch. As far as finding a long arm quilter, check with your guild(mostly likely there will be some that quilt for others) or check with local quilt shops--some have a quilter on staff and others will have business cards for some. If checking at a shop, ask if any of their sample quilts have been done by those quilters. Good luck~
Old 02-09-2020, 03:27 PM

The price in my area is 2cent per sq inch. It is very expensive.
Old 02-09-2020, 05:07 PM

I had a custom quilting done for a 85 x 92 which was $350.00 - I provided the batting and the backing, and I did the binding. The one I had by panto from side to side was $.02 per square inch. One professional quilter told me she charges $35.00 an hour with a min. of 10 hours. For me it is worth it. I have tried the machines at shows and I don't think I can relax enough to have it look smooth. Also, the loss of space in my house just isn't worth it to me. I have quilted enough on my DSM's and continue to do so. If the quilt is something special that I want a better job than I can do I send it out. I bought a layer cake to use to practice quilting with my embroidery machine and then do the QAYG attaching method. We have so many options on how to get things done - it's great!
Old 02-10-2020, 03:37 AM

To send out here in NY Hudson River Valley-.02 inch for meander or pantograph. .025 and up for custom work. You provide backing and batting. Some places offer binding or sleeves at addtl charge. My LQS has a brochure of quilters and I've developed relationships with 2. (Same prices but one is better but slower)

I'm doing more simple work myself...but mostly because I'm cheap! The longarm ladies really do beautiful work and it frees me up for more piecework...which is the part I like.
Old 02-10-2020, 03:39 AM
Power Poster

I have quilts done by a longarmer that I'm not interested in doing, mostly because of the size. I send them to a quilter in Kansas and she does a beautiful job. She provides the batting and her prices are good, quality is excellent.
If you want her name let me know. Believe it or not I found her on Ebay! But she has a FB page called Peggy's Quilting. I highly recommend her.
I don't have an interest in longarming but am glad others do it.