Free Westinghouse Machine

Old 02-21-2020, 10:00 AM

Default Free Westinghouse Machine

Hi. I have a Free-Westinghouse Sewing Machine that was my Grandmother's. I am trying to find out some info on this machine, mainly when it was manufactured, and its value. I think it had to be sometime during the 1940's. I have been trying to upload pics to this site, but they are not taking. I do have the original manual and it days on the cover it is a Model ARE, Round Bobbin Rotary. Also, the machine is a gold/bronze color if that helps. If anyone can help me getting pics here that will help a lot!
Old 02-21-2020, 10:04 AM

It can be confusing posting pictures here, there are some good directions in the help section:
https://www.quiltingboard.com/qb-help-center-f27/

For my computer/browser/camera combination, I find it easiest to use the defaults given at this size to reduce the file size of my pictures.
https://www.reduceimages.com/
Download there and upload here.
I reduce my internet window to half size and my file manager window opens above it, then I simply drag it from my file/camera to the correct spot on the linked page. Make sure to download it, not just reduce it!

It took me much longer to figure out than it should have that there is an "Upload" button to the far right of the attach screen -- you have to widen the window to see it, it is still set in the vertical default of the old boards instead of the horizontal setting currently used.

edit: A couple of weeks ago at the thrift store there was a lovely black with good decals Free Westinghouse in a stand for under $2.00 (yes, $1.79 no missing decimals) broke my heart to leave it but I just have no room.

Last edited by Iceblossom; 02-21-2020 at 10:06 AM.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:41 AM

Default here are the pics!!

I couldn't get the pics onto the original post, so here they are
Attached Thumbnails img_4148.jpg   img_4143.jpg   img_4141.jpg   img_4145.jpg   img_4144.jpg  

Last edited by cannerl; 02-21-2020 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:50 AM

Thanks!! Took me awhile, but I got the pics on!!
Old 02-21-2020, 11:36 AM

I don't remember seeing any paint like that before. And I've seen a lot of machines.
Old 02-21-2020, 11:49 AM

Leonf. Any ideas where I could find out more about this machine? Thanks for any help you can give
Old 02-21-2020, 11:57 AM

Default Lovely and interesting finish!

What an interesting finish on that machine. Wish I could be more help.
Old 02-21-2020, 11:59 AM

Default Lovely and interesting finish!

What an interesting finish on that machine. Wish I could be more help.
if you google or bing search using “Free Sewing Machine”, you will find a lot of references.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:04 PM

That's a very interesting machine and a wonderful heirloom. As far as value, it will depend a great deal on where you are. Most old sewing machines, even in good working order, aren't worth a great deal. With the exception of Featherweights and a few others models that have caught on for various reasons, most people don't seem to value these old beauties.
Old 02-21-2020, 01:23 PM

Well, this is cool. I was looking for place to get serial number information and found out that Free-Westinghouse was eventually part of New Home and you can check dates there! Also found out that Free was the founder's last name. Also that the brand was sold to a Japanese company in 1954, so yours "made in America" would be earlier than that.

Here's a chart though, goes up to 1930
https://ismacs.net/newhome/manufacture_dates.html

If that doesn't work I thought maybe the cabinet/container might give us some date clues.

Last edited by Iceblossom; 02-21-2020 at 01:26 PM.