Free Westinghouse Machine

Old 02-21-2020, 05:33 PM

Welcome. It is neat that you have the manual. Do you have some attachments for it? Also are there any needles for it? From my understanding, these machines take a different needle than modern domestic machines take.

According to https://www.janome.com/siteassets/su...anufacture.pdf it would indeed be from the 1940s, probably near 1942 or 1943 if they were sold fairly equally between 1940-1946. It appears that there is a model ALB that tooks quite similar to your model ARE.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 02-21-2020 at 05:35 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 02-22-2020, 06:56 AM

Thank you to everyone who helped me with some info on this machine. My next step is to try to figure out the value of this machine. The cabinet is in good condition, just some wear on the top, but nothing that a little refinishing won’t fix. I’m going to try once again to add a pic here so you can see the cabinet. It has nice work on the legs and the front draw.
Old 02-22-2020, 07:07 AM

Here is a pic of the cabinet.
Attached Thumbnails img_4151.jpg  
Old 02-22-2020, 07:24 AM

I think that's the machine that Lucy used when she tried to make clothing. It's a great episode if you can find it.

As others have said, very few old sewing machines have much value.

bkay
Old 02-22-2020, 08:02 AM

I was curious if it was, it wasn't. She had a portable machine on a desk.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:42 PM

I have a Free-Westinghouse machine similar to yours but with a smooth finish. That was the machine my mother had and that I first learned how to sew on. My mother sold hers, but my sister and I found one at an estate sale that looked just like hers, although in a different cabinet. I bought it, and it has been sitting in my house for several years. I was afraid to try it out since I had heard it takes its own brand of needles. It's just kind of a nostalgia thing for me now.

Leslie
Old 02-26-2020, 12:22 PM

The needle size is shown on the machine, isn't it. It is just like a regular needle but a bit shorter. Some people just shorten a regular needle, grind the top off to the right length.