Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
A quilt show of vintage treasures >

A quilt show of vintage treasures

A quilt show of vintage treasures

Old 03-02-2020, 05:14 PM

I agree finished beats unfinished and I'm sure you will do them justice no matter which method you choose. Can't wait to see the finished treasures.
Old 03-02-2020, 08:20 PM

How sweet of you to finish those quilts … hopefully they will treasure them forever. I especially loved the GFG … I want to make one some day myself!
Old 03-03-2020, 04:36 AM

You have some beautiful pieces of history in your hands. What a suburb opportunity to complete what another quilter started and to bless her family.

The name of the stars on the first quilt is "Pontiac Star". I just finished a quilt that was started about 20 years ago by my sister-in-law before she passed away. It too was a found project. 100 blocks finished and 32 more needed. Gifted to her youngest son.

Attached Thumbnails joey-ashley-keeler-2-8-20-resized.jpg   joey-ashley-keeler-2-8-2020-detail-2-resized.jpg  
Old 03-03-2020, 02:39 PM
Power Poster

They are each a beautiful treasure. Thank you for sharing with us.
Old 03-04-2020, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
You have some beautiful pieces of history in your hands. What a suburb opportunity to complete what another quilter started and to bless her family.

The name of the stars on the first quilt is "Pontiac Star". I just finished a quilt that was started about 20 years ago by my sister-in-law before she passed away. It too was a found project. 100 blocks finished and 32 more needed. Gifted to her youngest son.
Thank you for that info, WMUTeach. ( I feel like I should know you since you are so close.) I've seen other names for it as well but some of these blocks do have more than one name.

I was thinking of doing this quilt with an all-over stipple but I do love the way you quilted yours. Maybe I'll try to do something similar. I wish I had the time to do all these with hand quilting but I don't and I do want to finish these up for the family as soon as is possible with my busy schedule. I have two of these 'Pontiac Star' quilts to do. If I wanted, I could make another one as well. There's a box of the stars already put together.
Old 03-04-2020, 07:15 AM

It's funny, the very different names we have for quilts. I know the diamond one as "Job's Tears" but searching on that brings up different quilts.

I did find the "double hex" it was one of the Kansas City Star patterns, Ozark Star. Of course, when I look for it, I'm finding something slightly different when I search online but from the resource book I had, I feel happy with that name.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:30 AM

These are amazing. I've noticed that each of them seems to be loner than wide and am wondering if this was the style back in the day. I'm guessing that maybe they were for twin beds or double beds, as I have no idea when our larger queen and king sized beds came into style. Still there are a couple of them I'd give my eye teeth for! What a super lucky find and such great memories for your cousins.
Old 03-05-2020, 05:02 AM

I believe the first quilt block is called Job's Tears.

Last edited by vivsqt; 03-05-2020 at 05:05 AM.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:03 AM

These quilts are true treasures. What a gift from the heart to finish and give back to your family.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:09 PM

These are beautiful, and I'm sure you will enjoy completing the work that was started so long ago. I had the joy of turning one vintage top into a quilt for my sister-in-law, and it makes you feel as if the woman who pieced is right there by your side urging you along, even if you never met her. In our case, we didn't even know which of her mom's many sisters or possibly sister-in-law may have been the one, we just think it was that generation because of the age. We know that it meant enough to her mom that she kept it until the very end of her 98 years. It's a reminder to put some identifying information in with a pieced top or a collection of blocks as well as a label when a quilt is done. The label I made says "Pieced top from the [last name and last name] estate"], the names being both her mother's married and maiden names. I added quilted by ... and the date completed.