Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Multi size blocks for T Shirt Quilt >

Multi size blocks for T Shirt Quilt

Multi size blocks for T Shirt Quilt

Old 02-27-2020, 09:12 AM

Default Multi size blocks for T Shirt Quilt

Please help...so I thought I'd make a T Shirt quilt and before reading up on it...I cut out blocks...some blocks are 2"x2" some 12"x 12"...and all in-between even a 18" x 12" because I just centered all the logos and some had small logos so just cut them out. I did not save the scraps. Any suggestions?
Old 02-27-2020, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

I’ve made a few with lots of different size blocks. After cutting them all out I started laying them out leaving gaps, trying to create rows or columns and seeing where I needed to place background fabric. Then I started framing, inserting, piecing areas until I had a row then moving on to the next section.
heres the latest one I did.

Attached Thumbnails 3e8d9534-c54d-4b5c-88d4-dbbf46d1356f.jpeg  
Old 02-27-2020, 01:31 PM

I made a couple of T-shirt quilts for my grandsons and the logos were all different sizes but luckily I saved the backs of the shirts for sashing. I would go to a thrift store and get some T-shirts in colors that would work. The backs of T-shirts rarely get stained or worn.
Old 02-27-2020, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
I’ve made a few with lots of different size blocks. After cutting them all out I started laying them out leaving gaps, trying to create rows or columns and seeing where I needed to place background fabric. Then I started framing, inserting, piecing areas until I had a row then moving on to the next section.
heres the latest one I did.
Thank you - I think I'll do that for my next son's one or at least think ahead. Is the maroon backing a large piece or is it all blocks sewn together. I have seen one before where the t-shirts blocks had no fabric in between them which I liked b/c I have so many cut out and I would like to get them all on one quilt
Old 02-27-2020, 03:55 PM

Yes that's a good Idea...or maybe get a bunch of mine...I did save some pieces for rags not sure how many
Old 02-27-2020, 03:56 PM

oops my reply for for ckcowl re: Maroon backing
Old 02-27-2020, 03:57 PM

Thank you - I think I'll do that for my next son's one or at least think ahead. Is the maroon backing a large piece or is it all blocks sewn together. I have seen one before where the t-shirts blocks had no fabric in between them which I liked b/c I have so many cut out and I would like to get them all on one quilt
Old 02-27-2020, 04:53 PM

I've made several like this and did what Ckcowl explained. On those that you cut the 2x2" you might want to think about just appliqueing the small blocks onto another tee (if room). I recommend you either use graph paper (or if you have EQ8 use the custom layout setting) and work so that you develop rows or columns by using sashing around your blocks to bring them to the largest block in the row/column. Not really hard to do, but definitely takes time as it's like working a puzzle.