Wedding Gifts

Old 03-06-2020, 12:01 PM

Default Wedding Gifts

Over the years we have given several cash wedding gifts. I know money is always welcome, but I prefer to be original.

We will attend a wedding in two weeks. The couple is 35, have lived together almost 2 years and have his (2 - not full custody), hers (1), and their (1 so far) children. Of course, they combined household items. All I can think of is his and her gift cards.

For close family/friends, I have lovingly made quilts in the bride's favorite color(s) but was soured on that idea when 5 years ago there was no acknowledgment of a quilt's arrival across country, let alone a thank you. But the check included inside the quilt box was cashed in 3 days.

Any creative ideas out there? Many thanks!!!
Old 03-06-2020, 12:51 PM

I like the idea of original too. Depending on the age of kids, is there a local place that they would enjoy as a family? Maybe a yearly pass if the price is right
Old 03-06-2020, 01:03 PM

There is probably nothing you can give them that they don’t already have. If they do a lot of online shopping, a prepaid credit card would be ok. Or if they shop at Amazon, one of their gift cards would be great. I would have loved a quilt made by a friend. I realize a quilt could be very labor intensive and somewhat costly. So, this couple would have to be close friends or relatives. That's my two cents worth.
Old 03-06-2020, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by cjsews View Post
I like the idea of original too. Depending on the age of kids, is there a local place that they would enjoy as a family? Maybe a yearly pass if the price is right
That is an excellent idea. Be sure to check to see if they already have a pass to a particular place. My sons and their families have several memberships in and around our area.
Old 03-06-2020, 01:20 PM

The yearly pass sounds great if you think it is something they will make use of.

Watson

Old 03-06-2020, 08:46 PM

We've given gifts in their names to charities, rescues, or organizations that the couple support. Usually in our case the couple is a bit older, but might be an idea to consider. The card could read....A $00.00 donation has been made in your name to....
Old 03-07-2020, 04:21 AM

Call me "Stingie", but I don't gift to a couple that has been married once, and then living together already with children. They probably have what they need, and your well wishes are enough.
Old 03-07-2020, 04:38 AM

If it were me I'd give them a gift card to Walmart, they can buy food, baby items, toys, household items and gas. I go on line and order it from Walmart website and have it sent electronically to them. That way they get it on their phone, or email, no printing needed and I don't have to worry about it getting lost in the mail which happens often in my experience. I have grown grandkids and that is what I do for every gift giving occasion.
Old 03-07-2020, 05:16 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by DebbieJJ View Post
Call me "Stingie", but I don't gift to a couple that has been married once, and then living together already with children. They probably have what they need, and your well wishes are enough.
I agree. If they have everything, why add? Unless there is something you know for sure they need or want. Nothing wrong with sending a card.
Old 03-07-2020, 07:04 AM

When my son and daughter in law were married, they were both 30-ish and had lived together for some time, household already set up. They made it easy on the rest of us with a "no gifts" request with the announcement, they phrased it nicely something about having each other they had everything they wanted or needed. It was also important to them to have the wedding they wanted/could afford so it was quite small and intimate, about 20 people and the photographer was a friend as well.

Of course, had to get them something as the mama -- so I got a picture frame engraved with their names and the date, I found some "Bride and Groom" stick figure clip art for free and selected a picture, blew it up until it was large enough and cut out the faces to show the "Benjamins" (100 dollar bills) I put in the card.

My old go-to starting household gifts was nice bath sheet sized towels... helps if you know their color choices/likes.

There are a number of different places that do different things like this -- star charts for specific days.
https://greaterskies.com/

Similarly, you could do something about "This Day in History" and add their wedding list to the achievements! Copy and print out dates from a site like this"
https://www.onthisday.com/history/
and put it in a nice frame (btw, there are often gorgeous frames for cheap still in boxes at the thrift stores here... only you need to know that the crystal frame cost $3 instead of $30!)