Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Problem with Bernina foot 96 with cup >

Problem with Bernina foot 96 with cup

Problem with Bernina foot 96 with cup

Old 03-14-2020, 06:04 AM

Default Problem with Bernina foot 96 with cup

I have been using the number 9 foot with my Q24, everything perfect, then I switched to the number 96 foot with cup and my stitches became very erratic - skipping stitches and the machine sounding different, as if it were slowing down and then "lunging" forward - never did either of these things. I rethreaded the machine, changed the needle and checked the bobbin thread tension with the gauge - didn't make any difference with the number 96 foot, until I went back to the number 9 foot, then the machine stitched perfect again! Anyone ever see this?
Old 03-14-2020, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

Being that all is good with the other foot .... Wondering? ...

Is the cup dragging too much on the fabric, rather than gliding as you FMQ?

Is there an adjustment to get it up a tad?

Good Luck!
Old 03-14-2020, 11:17 AM

Exactly! I thought the same thing - however, I am not sure how to adjust the height of the presser foot on the Bernina Q24 - does anyone know how to do this? Either a mechanical adjustment or electronically (a digital adjustment in the machine settings)? Thank you in advance! Cindy
Old 03-14-2020, 11:30 AM
Power Poster

I don't have the Q24, nor have I used the cup on my BSR with the 820. However, going back to my Janome 6600 days, there was a spring on the foot to tighten/loosen according to the thickness of the quilt sandwich to get it to glide. So? is there a spring?

Have you phoned your dealer?? ... should be something they could answer simple enough on the phone.

Otherwise, maybe try some Googles???
Old 03-14-2020, 12:53 PM

Unfortunately, I have to say a "No" to both questions! Foot #96 does not have a spring - and - my dealer has been absolutely no help (even after a couple of phone calls and a couple of "we will get back to you" - they have my money for the system, so, oh well! Very disappointing!) I had a HandiQuilter Fusion 24, bought the easy glide foot and was able to adjust the height of the foot (without a spring) - I really wanted to make the investment in the Bernina system and love, love, love it - but also wanted a way to "glide" over those pesky thicker seam intersections.
Thank you for your replies!
Old 03-14-2020, 02:27 PM
Power Poster

hhhmmmmm!
Maybe call another dealer and you will find someone who "wants" to help?
Worth a try ......

Good Luck!
Old 03-14-2020, 03:08 PM

Thumbs up

Will do! I'll reply again if/when I find a solution to this (in case anyone else runs into this situation) - Bernina is a quality product and I'm confident there's an answer out there!
Old 03-15-2020, 05:24 PM

is there a FB page for the Bernina long arms? I find on the Gammill FB page I can get lots of info and some is coming from dealers,too. Would think there is a way to raise the needle bar setting and know how to do that on my old Gammill, but no idea on the Bernina's. Do know from friend with one that the Bernina has fewer manual adjustments and more digital.