Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the best color for rulers? >

What is the best color for rulers?

What is the best color for rulers?

Old 03-17-2020, 06:18 AM

If I counted all my rulers....I am sure I would have more than 50...oops....anyway....most are omnigrids...if a very wide variety of sizes....for some reason I love using the smallest ruler that will work....most of mine are the old style but I have a few of the ones with the green stuff around the lines that are supposed to make it grip better....these rulers have served me well for 30 some years and I have too much invested to switch to the newer brands out there....keeping to one brand help's I think...One thing I do enjoy however, is that I have a couple of the larger cutting mats that are different colors.....sometimes if a color blends in with the mat you are cutting on...it really helps to another colored one to switch to....
Old 03-17-2020, 06:37 AM
mkc

In reading all the comments, it becomes pretty apparent (as expected) that there is no one best color for everyone. It's what works best for you that should be the deciding factor
Old 03-17-2020, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

I use Quilter's Select rulers for basic size rulers and Creative Grids for specialty rulers. I like the neon template rulers from Missouri Star for exact shapes. No measuring with them. I gave all my other brands of rulers away. I had more miss cuts due to rulers then my measurement errors.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:43 AM

The best is the one you are comfortable using. It is a personal choice. One must test several to make the choice.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:12 PM

I put either neon green or bright pink on my rulers to the line I need to be on Also when I trim my blocks I have the mark taped so I’m not off and I use the same rulers thru out the entire project I also mark with tape on my machine bc I can see that better
welcome to the board and there’s no right or wrong ruler whatever u prefer Happy quilting
Old 03-17-2020, 05:41 PM

I cannot read the yellow ones. I like the Kay England Good Rulers which are blue and pink.
Old 03-18-2020, 04:05 PM
Power Poster

Quilter's Select are my very favorites, followed by Creative Grid. I got a free ruler from Missouri Star that is green. I didn't think I'd like it but I do!
Old 03-19-2020, 06:27 PM

My first 6.5 X 24 ruler was a Betty Gall. Clear with black lines. I loved it, but the black lines have pretty well worn off. I have two with the colors over the lines. I do not like that.
Old 03-20-2020, 04:28 PM

I love the Olfa Frost rulers which are actually clear. They are so easy to read and you can see the fabric with no problem. I have purchased them at JoAnns with a coupon. I also like Creative Grid, but I get confused with the ones that are marked with one inch on one side and half inch on the other (not all of them are like this). like the Omnigrid rulers with the yellow lines. I find them very hard to use due to the yellow lines being on top of where I need to see the fabric.

It's one of those things you need to try for yourself. Good luck!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-21-2020 at 02:36 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps