Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
bent needle bar? >

bent needle bar?

bent needle bar?

Old 02-05-2020, 07:16 AM

Default bent needle bar?

I just had to leave my l month old (to me) Babylock Jazz at the dealers. I tried to change the needle to a new needle and I had to pull the needle out with pliers because it was so tight, when I did that the part holding the screw fell off. I could not get the needle and part back together no matter how hard I tried. The repair guy told me I tightened the screw too tight and bent the shaft on the needle bar. I have been sewing for over 50 years and never had a problem changing needles on any machine I have or had. He also asked me if anything else fell off, which it didn't. So they have to order parts. Has anyone ever had this happen to them? He says he has had to fix other machines for this. I don't see how it is even possible to crush the shaft smaller with a needle in it and it being hard metal. I might be wrong, but. Any opinions
would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 02-05-2020, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

Hmm, I have never tighten a needle so much to bend the needle clamp, sounds like they are not making with the same quality of older machines.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:58 AM

I want to add to my original post, that I never tightened the screw, because I couldn't get the 2 pieces together to tighten the screw. I told this to the repair man, but he didn't believe me. He also told me it would cost me $125. to fix it. But the Owner came over to me afterwards and told me not to worry, they would order the parts and take care of me. He remembered I just bought the machine there, which was a trade-up from another customer and it was on the sales floor for sale when I bought it.
The only thing it is going to take awhile because they are going on vacation for 2-3 wks. I don't know how it got bent etc. I checked my other machines, a Pfaff, a Viking #1+ I bought new in 1997, and my vintage Singers and the part that fell off are all permanent on these machines. I have never seen one that comes off, just the screw is removable. LOL as long as I can get it fixed, I don't care what the repair guy thinks, I know it wasn't anything I did. Thanks for your reply. I love this board, I have received so much info and support from it.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:12 AM

The only way I can think the shaft would get bent is if you where really pushing the screwdriver into the slot while also rotating it. I have seen people do that - usually because they are using the wrong screwdriver and it keeps wanting to slip out of place.

It is possible that the shaft got crushed enough that the screw will no long hold tight - but I would not refer to that as a "bent shaft".

It seems odd - the machine would need a really lightweight bar - or a real gorilla was the one doing the tightening.

Since you just got it, I'd think the person doing the service before it was sold to you found a way to jam the needle in place so it would stay for you to try. They may have even put a dab of glue to hold it all in place. Did you get it from a dealer or private party?

BTW - I have a lot of vintage machines that those parts do come off, don't think I've seen that on any modern machines though. I've also seen some interesting "fixes" people have come up with in order to consider a machine "working" so they can get it sold.

Old 02-05-2020, 10:22 AM

Was that the first needle change by yourself (was that needle in the machine when you traded up?).
Old 02-05-2020, 07:20 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by Jerseyrayne View Post
I want to add to my original post, that I never tightened the screw, because I couldn't get the 2 pieces together to tighten the screw. I told this to the repair man, but he didn't believe me. He also told me it would cost me $125. to fix it. But the Owner came over to me afterwards and told me not to worry, they would order the parts and take care of me. He remembered I just bought the machine there, which was a trade-up from another customer and it was on the sales floor for sale when I bought it.
I'm glad the Owner was there! All machines should come with a warranty. I know that can vary from store to store. Our local deal adds an extra 1 year to most machines. They have been wonderful to work with.
It sounds like it was damaged while being a demo as a floor model.
At least you have other machines to rely on while he's on vacation.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-06-2020 at 03:32 AM. Reason: fix quote formatting
Old 02-05-2020, 07:32 PM

Hooligan

Yes there was a needle in the machine when I bought it, that is the one I took out and was trying to put in a new needle, and that was the first time I was changing the needle. I had done 4 sets of appliqued towels and a bingo bag for my granddaughter and was finishing a bingo bag for myself and thought it was about time I change the needle. LOL
Old 02-05-2020, 07:37 PM

Yes Tiggersmom, I am sewing on my 22yr old Viking #1+ which still sews like a dream and quiet. I actually bought the Babylock Jazz to fmq.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:08 AM

I think you should go back to that dealer and ask him to demonstrate how a human can bend a needle bar. The needle bar is steel..even the smaller ones are 3/8" in diameter..I'm calling foul on their "technician".

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-06-2020 at 03:33 AM. Reason: language
Old 02-06-2020, 07:04 AM

It sounds like the shaft was already damaged when ;you bought it. Good thing the dealer there will fix it for you and take care of you. As long as it is taken care of for you that is the important thing and like you who cares what the repair guy said. You didn't cause this problem. Especially since you have worked with a variety of machines over a life time.