Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you finish a quilt you don’t like ? >

Do you finish a quilt you don’t like ?

Do you finish a quilt you don’t like ?

Old 03-16-2020, 09:25 AM

Default Do you finish a quilt you don’t like ?

So I am struggling with this one. I started it in a class and the more I work with the colors I choose I don’t like the way it looks. Really wish I had picked different colors. Part of me says “finish it since you have a lot of the parts cut”. But then the other part of me says “ don’t waste your time.” Ideas?
Old 03-16-2020, 09:42 AM

I finish the one's I don't like most of the time but not all of the time. If it's just too ugly, I have been known to toss it. Especially if I don't have new fabric in it and it's from my stash. Someone always likes it better than I do. It's interesting to see what friends pick out of a stack of finished quilts.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:46 AM

I would say it depends where you are as far as experience goes. I have only been at it for three years. I finish everything because I feel that I always learn something with every project completed. Let me say some of these projects have been disappointing to say the least
Old 03-16-2020, 09:53 AM

I’ve been known to cut up quilt tops I don’t like and do some improv work with them. One of my favorite art quilts is the product of two quilts I didn’t like that I then cut up and merged together.

Rob
Old 03-16-2020, 10:01 AM

I think it’s a personal preference, while you may not like it perhaps someone else will? You could find it another home, finish it and give it another home or just set it aside and let it become a UFO. I have set aside projects that I don’t like and pull them out to finish when I have those, “I want to sew, but I don’t know what project I want to start next” moments. I’ve also re-homed more than my fair share as well. Don’t feel bad what ever you choose, we’ve all been there!
Old 03-16-2020, 10:46 AM

You have a great mix of advice. I would file it away and work on something that I like. I find it hard to get motivated when I feel obligated to quilt. You may stumble across it in a year (or two) and have a new idea for it.

I just found 12 blocks that were all balled up. I recall that they are from a project years ago. I appliqued stars for a star quilt for my daughter, but decided to piece the stars instead. Glad I didn't just pitch them because now I'm creating something with them...details to follow....
Old 03-16-2020, 10:58 AM
Power Poster

I pretty much finish what I start, with the exception of class projects. I look at those as learning experiences, so the time and fabric wasn't wasted if I decide not to finish the project.

However - I have found that I usually fall out of love with every project while I'm working on it. Once it's finished, I usually like it again. And if I don't someone else usually does.

Old 03-16-2020, 11:14 AM

I am pretty new at quilting. If you started it in class, and others really liked the colors maybe it is just a personal preference with the colors. If the colors were just wrong to me, I would finish it and perhaps donate it as a charity quilt. If no one liked it, I probably would not finish it. If one of my quilting friends or relatives wanted it I would give it to that person because I don't think I would want to keep it.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:30 AM

I threw one away. It was a Mystery Quilt, and I picked out colors that I thought were good. The colors turned out not to work in the quilt. Since then I have never done a Mystery Quilt.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:45 AM

I too would finish it because what's ugly to you may be spectacular to someone else. It can also be cut up for beds at animal shelter. The animals don't care what it looks like...just let it be warm and soft.