Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help - thread/design for quilting red/black/white quilt >

Help - thread/design for quilting red/black/white quilt

Help - thread/design for quilting red/black/white quilt

Old 03-17-2020, 05:12 AM

Default Help - thread/design for quilting red/black/white quilt

Does anyone have pics of a red/black and white quilt they have quilted on their home machine? I am making these coordinating (same fabrics, same actual block but different color placement) quilts for my grandkids' room in these colors and I'm wondering how to quilt them. I will do some sort of "straight line" quilting because I've not yet learned to FMQ and I like a less dense quilting anyway. However, I'm wondering what thread color and quilting design to use that won't show too much in any of the colors or detract from the design of the quilt itself. Both quilts rely heavily on the secondary pattern that emerges when blocks come together and I want that to be focus, not the quilting. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails kids-quilt-block-bryler-upload.jpg   kids-quilt-block-jameson-upload.jpg  
Old 03-17-2020, 05:32 AM

My quilted my only red, white and black sampler quilt with a light grey thread. Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails taylor-63-x-79.jpg   taylor2.jpg  
Old 03-17-2020, 05:58 AM

I don't have a picture.....but on my long arm...when I don't want the stitching to show much and want for the piecing to be the star of the quilt, I try and pick a color that will blend in with most of the colors....on your quilt....I would pull out a variety of the thread colors being considered and unwound a good length of each and throw on the quilt making sure you get some on all the colors of your quilt....(I basically like to use one color for the quilting). Mostly, I end up picking something that is fairly inconspicuous on the lightest color so I would try white...or like AZ Jane suggest a light grey...or maybe even a light pink or blue....just see what you like.....the other thing I do....is use a fine thread.....my go to is "So Fine" by superior...it is a strong thread but...yep...fairly fine.....it will hold up on a quilt that is used.....so folks also will use "bottom line" again by Superior threads...which is even finer and supposedly fairly strong....I personally haven't used it on the top yet...
Old 03-17-2020, 07:37 AM

AZ Jane - your quilt is beautiful, thank you so much for sharing. It is helpful to see.
Sewingpup - thanks for all your info - so much appreciated! I might order a spool of So Fine to try.

I look forward to hearing more from anyone who has made a quilt in these colors! :-)

Last edited by LisaInOhio; 03-17-2020 at 07:41 AM. Reason: answered my own question
Old 03-17-2020, 08:31 AM

I used a light gray thread. I did an overall woodgrain pattern, not too dense. If you’re new to FMQ, the woodgrain is a pretty easy pattern. It’s just wavy lines with an occasional tree-knot swirl. And I use a lot of flame type patterns to fill in. Instead of straight lines, wavy uneven lines look great too.
Attached Thumbnails b344858c-bd49-4287-b5ee-ba83914468bb.jpeg  
Old 03-18-2020, 09:31 AM

Since you don't want the focus on the quilting the gray thread is always a winner. To stitch each side of the ditch will give you a full look to the quilt. Just a thought.
Old 03-18-2020, 02:45 PM

Another vote for light gray.
Old 03-19-2020, 02:28 AM

I'm not great at figuring out quilting designs, but with a walking foot, I think I would criss cross through the triangles or stitch in the ditch using white thread. I just made a black, red, and white quilt that I took to a long armer, and she used white thread. It looks great. Maybe the choice of thread depends on what you use for the backs?