Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting machines >

Cutting machines

Cutting machines

Old 04-01-2020, 10:13 AM

Default Cutting machines

Do any of you use die cutters or other machines to cut your fabric? Which is the best?
Old 04-01-2020, 10:21 AM

Well there are a lot of variables to think about. Are you able to crank a handle or would you prefer an electric cutter? Are you okay with buying multiple dies with pre-set shapes and sizes, or would you rather be able to cut your own custom sizes and shapes? What is your price point?

Some people are happy with the hand-crank Accuquilt Go, it's an affordable basic machine that comes with a couple of basic dies. Extra dies are purchased separately. On the other end of the spectrum are machines such as the Brother ScanNCut, which can custom cut any shape your little heart desires, but runs about $400.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:26 AM

I can crank. I own a cricut explore air 2 but you have to back the fabric. I am left handed and for the life of me, even with acrylic rulers, cannot cut a perfect square. I thought maybe one of these machines would help. My budget is workable because my hubby has expensive hobbies. But if I spend the big bucks I want to know whats the best and does it work/ Do you use any of them? Thanks Debbie
Old 04-01-2020, 10:39 AM

I love my Sizzix Bog Shot Pro, it can take all the accuquilt dies as well as Sizzix fabric dies etc. but it doesn’t fold so takes up a lot of space and really cankt be stored away like the smaller machinesmade by Sizzix and Accuquilt.

Rob
Old 04-01-2020, 10:45 AM
Power Poster

I don't think there is any "best" cutter. It's an individual thing.
I bought an Accuquilt Go that has the hand crank. They are fine as long as you don't have any physical problems
with shoulders etc (I've been told) For me the hand crank works great.
They have electric ones as well.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
I love my Sizzix Bog Shot Pro, it can take all the accuquilt dies as well as Sizzix fabric dies etc. but it doesn’t fold so takes up a lot of space and really cankt be stored away like the smaller machinesmade by Sizzix and Accuquilt.

Rob
Thank you.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:54 AM

I have been reading about the accuquilt cutters. So far my shoulders are good but I am getting older. Thanks for the input.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:54 AM

After doing a lot of research on cutting systems, I decided to purchase a Sizzix Big Shot Plus. The reasons I chose the Sizzix were:
  1. Lower cost for the initial "machine" as well as for the cutting dies than the Accuquilt or Cricut. For example, a die to cut 2-1/2" strips is $40 for Sizzix compared to $80.45 for an Accuquilt die on Amazon.
  2. I can cut through 8 layers of fabric at one time.
  3. Sizzix can use a wide variety of dies, even some that are paper thin. My Sizzix can use Accuquilt dies, but Accuquilt cannot use Sizzix dies.
  4. My Big Shot Plus takes up minimal space in my sewing room, and because it has a built in handle and is light weight, I can carry it downstairs to do my cutting on the kitchen table.
  5. The Big Shot Plus is a manual system that does not require an electrical or computer connection so I can easily take it to a sewing bee or Quilts of Valor sew-in.
  6. There are lots of Sizzix scrapbook dies available. So I can also use my Sizzix for other projects in addition to quilting.
  7. The pieces cut on the Sizzix are always 100% accurate.
I absolutely my Sizzix Big Shot Plus. My only regret is that I didn't buy it sooner to make my quilting projects more enjoyable with more accurate and faster cutting. You might want to check out some of the YouTube videos about the Sizzix cutting system. There are several videos showing how to use the Sizzix system and at least one video comparing Sizzix to other cutting systems.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:17 PM

I'm in the same camp as Rob. I love my Sizzix Big Shot Pro. I can use it with both Accuquilt and Sizzix machines. And the price was reasonable.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:19 PM

I love my Accuquilt Go - I would love to have the Go Big, but it wasn't out when I bought mine. Decide what you like to make look at the dies and see what will work best for you. When I started I preferred the geometric shapes but once I got my embroidery machine I have to have so many different figures. :-)
A friend of mine lives in AZ and I take it to her house when we have a personal quilt week.