Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Old School Idaho >

Old School Idaho

Old School Idaho

Old 04-07-2020, 11:57 PM

Default Old School Idaho

I just wrote my Intro, then lost the 20mins of writing "Im a slow type", did the forum time me out?

Im looking at the Singer 4452 Heavy Duty Sewing Machine, would I be better off getting it from Joann's vs Amazon or other online?

Thx,
Shane
Old 04-08-2020, 04:32 AM

Save your money on buying that machine or any Singer. If you don't want to spend a lot of money, Janome and Brother machines have a fairly good reputation, even in the low end machines.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-08-2020 at 07:43 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 04-08-2020, 06:07 AM

All my machines are at least 50 years old. Welcome to the board from Kansas..
Old 04-08-2020, 06:17 AM

Welcome to the QB from SE Michigan. There is all kinds of info in these parts on buying different sewing machines. I personally do not care to spend the money on high end machines since my machines are in use everyday for long periods of time and I don't want to take the risk of wearing out a high end machine. Plus I don't have the $$ to spend on a high end machine. The last higher end machine I purchased was back in the 80's a Janome. I am still using it in rotation today. I have a number of machines and I rotate them. Mostly vintage machines. I do have a couple newer Brother's machines one that my BIL purchased for me for a quilt he wanted me to make. I don't need fancy machines for what I am doing forward backwards and a zig zag are nice. I do have a couple embroidery machines. One needs to be repaired right now but will sit until this virus is over. Again welcome aboard the QB!
Old 04-08-2020, 07:50 AM

Some of us deep thinkers/slow typists get timed out all the time. It happens so much to me that I've learned to copy my post before hitting reply.

Welcome to the boards. Although I say I'm from Alaska I did spend my Senior year of High School in Moscow, ID and it was there I made my first quilt back in 1978.

If you are getting a boxed machine, it really doesn't matter who you get it from. You are unlikely to get it serviced, if it breaks you just get a new one. My modern computerized 820 Bernina needs to go to the shop, I don't know but I'm estimating it will be about $300 for a service/repair which is my usual price point for buying a machine -- but not one with all the bells and whistles and the deep throat of the Bernina.

I'm also a fan of vintage machines for heavy duty, the old ones -- 1940s to 1950s, all metal and maybe as advanced as zig zag. A good strong straight stitch and the ability to do upholstery! Mine own is a Remington, Morse is another brand I love. I dropped the foot pedal on my Remington when I was putting it up instead of Bernina and put it temporarily out of commission. I am currently using about the lowest end Brother possible that I bought in the box at the thrift store for $20 as a portable light weight class machine because working beats non-working any day of the week! It is doing fine with my piecing, I'm actually impressed with the accuracy of the 1/4" quilting foot, but I don't want to attempt quilting on it mostly because of the light weight and small throat space.

Old 04-08-2020, 08:12 AM

Brother DZ3000

https://www.brother-usa.com/products...#about-product

Old 04-08-2020, 08:47 AM

https://www.brother-usa.com/products/sa132

Old 04-08-2020, 09:28 AM

My current cheapo Brother goes for less than $100, but for about 5 years I sewed a lot on a very similar model to the link l I got from Costco. Finally I started having issues with the bobbin casing and it was easier/cheaper to replace than repair. I gave it to a friend who was able to use it as a "trade in" for couple hundred dollars on an overpriced embroidery machine she wanted. Costco doesn't have any similar deals right now on Brother but it does have a pretty comparable Janome. The other two with "member pricing" are above 1k.

I found my Brothers easy to use and non-complainers, willing to do most of what I want to do, including quilting small projects and everything from piecing to repairs of jackets etc. Almost all feet are interchangeable between models, easy to get, and bobbins are also easily available and cheap. As I mentioned before, I've been very pleasantly surprised by the accuracy of their 1/4" quilting foot (markings from front/back and the sides are both 1/4") which I use a lot for everything from mitering to flipping my little triangles so the little points don't get sucked down. The lighting and threading assists are nice, as are the markings. I have vision issues and basically can't read any of the buttons or info on my Bernina and it has a proprietary bobbin that I'm not fond of, large but I can't buy prewound bobbins.

Depending on the size of projects you make, I'd be concerned about the throat size in terms of quilting. It could handle simple grids but I wouldn't want to do much in the way of fancy patterns on a queen sized. It would fine if you mostly work in crib sized and wall hangings. Doable for twins.

The downside is that yes, they are plastic and computers can fritz out. Not meant for a lifetime commitment, but a reliable companion for a few years

Edit: For quilting purposes you might want to look at ways you have to secure the machine, that would be if you have a cabinet it can be screwed into. The one I have is just too lightweight and even for regular sewing I put it on an anti-skid mat (like you put under area rugs).

Last edited by Iceblossom; 04-08-2020 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:06 AM

Are you planning on quilting? If so, I wouldn't buy the machine that you linked for, because it has very LITTLE throat space, might be fine for making blocks or clothing. If you want something that you can use for quilting, I suggest you look at machines that have at least a 9" throat. If you're planning on using it for quilting, all you need is really a straight stitch machine, so I would look for a vintage machine, if you want zig zag or fancier stitches, I would still recommend a vintage machine.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:02 PM

Janome HD 1000 Black Edition Heavy Duty

https://www.joann.com/janome-hd-1000...2.html#start=1

Janome Skyline S3 Sewing & Quilting Machine

https://www.joann.com/janome-skyline...ellers&start=1