Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
New Machine Hoop Options ? >

New Machine Hoop Options ?

New Machine Hoop Options ?

Old 05-13-2020, 04:23 AM

Default New Machine Hoop Options ?

I'm totally new to embroidery but have been interested and looking. Well, today's the day- I'm buying a new machine. For the question...

The machine I can afford and justify has a supplied hoop size of 7.9x7.9. There are smaller hoops available as options. So, is there any good reason to have a smaller hoop (say a 5x5) other than to save a bit of fabric? I do plan to make some clothing tags and labels, so the larger hoop would not be required, but if there's a benefit to having a couple sizes, purchasing with the new machine can save a few sheckels.

Thanks for your insights. You know I'll be back with questions once I have machine in hand.
Old 05-13-2020, 04:46 AM
Administrator

when i want to make a quantity of small things, such as labels or tags, i will do more than one at a time, positioning them within the boundaries of a large hoop.

i would wait until you see whether you really need optional hoops before buying any.
Old 05-13-2020, 05:03 AM

Mine came with a variety of sizes. I only ever use the large and extra large.
Old 05-13-2020, 01:53 PM

It is really going to depend on your projects. You may not need the smaller hoops. I have never used the smaller hoops (6x6 or 5x7) on my machine.
Old 05-13-2020, 04:06 PM

I bought a few extra hoops with my machine when I bought it. I also bought a few others afterwards when there was a great deal at the dealership.
The best money I spent was to buy the metal/magnetic hoop - you use magnets to hold your fabric in place. I almost always use this one, if at all possible. I also almost never use the smaller ones. I mostly use the embroidery function to make quilt labels or embroidery bags with it.
Old 05-14-2020, 03:20 AM

The smaller hoop would save fabric as well as stabilizer. I have a 4x4 and 5x7 hoop that I use for labels, baby items and monograms on clothing. Also if there is a stain or a rip on an item I embroider a few flowers, heart, etc. to hide it.
Old 05-14-2020, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by GEMRM View Post
The best money I spent was to buy the metal/magnetic hoop - you use magnets to hold your fabric in place.
I haven't gotten this but I've been tempted. I never "hoop" the fabric itself, only the stabilizer. Then I lay the fabric over the hoop and use the "baste" function to hold in place for the stitchout.
Old 05-14-2020, 06:26 AM

The number and sizes of hoops you need will depend on what you like to embroider.....I bought all the hoops for my machine....about 7 of them I believe and yep they are pricey.....I never ever used the largest one, I never used the "endless embroidery" unless you count the one class I took on how to use it, I never used the "quilting hoop".....The ones I used the most were the 4X4 and the 5X7.....yep...used those a lot....and I even bought a second 4X4 hoop when I was making a ton of lace snowflakes for every ones Christmas trees so that way, I could get another hoop ready to go when the first one was done.....you actually want to use the smallest hoop you can for the project you are working on as there is less "flagging" or bounce on the embroidery as it is stabilized the most when you use the smallest hoop possible....
Old 05-31-2020, 03:34 PM

When you have a small design it's best to use the smallest hoop possible for it. I tend to use my small hoops for baby onesies, monogramming stocking, and small projects. I use my 5x7 and 4x4 the most followed by my 8x8 and rarely do I use my 8x12 or 7 x12 but I have used them
Old 07-14-2020, 10:02 PM

You're wise to think this through. If you don't need a big hoop don't get one. They have their issues. So if you don't want a big hoop stay away from them.