Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I bought a new sewing machine but >

I bought a new sewing machine but

I bought a new sewing machine but

Old 05-23-2020, 02:08 PM
Power Poster

Those 500 series machines are so nice!
I bought a 770QE because I don't have a longarm. You're right- it's big! It was an upgrade from a 150QE that I'll never part with. Almost 20 years and never had a repair. Still running well. Maybe someday I'll give it to my granddaughter if she starts sewing but until then it stays with me.
Enjoy your new machine!!!
Old 05-23-2020, 04:26 PM

Goodness, Cam's Gram--you have a lot going on! We have friends that live in Midland and luckily they didn't have water in their house--but such a mess for all those folks. glad your daughter's family not out of their house. New machine is fun but can be a little overwhelming--grab some fabric and play! Will take your mind off of the other stuff i your life.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:27 PM

Congratulations on your new machine. It is always fun to get a new machine, and figure it out and learn about all the bells and whistles. Enjoy your new machine.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:35 PM

congratulations on your new machine.....I had a 440....but I did not bond with her so I traded her in for a 630 which I loved...but then I traded her for a 570...glad you kept the 440.....the 500 series is neat....and those machines are so smart....but there is a learning curve and I was frustrated for the first few weeks.....but my 570 does a lot of nice things....just that it takes a while to learn them all and because there are so many features....well...sometimes I could not figure out why the machine would not sew....and it was because of things like I had not selected the proper foot for the stitch I selected and the machine knew that....tee hee....you will get to know what I am talking about....have fun....be patient....you will get to know and love your 590
Old 05-23-2020, 09:32 PM

I got a new Bernina 590 about 3 weeks ago. I it!!! But I haven't tried the embroidery part yet.

I hadn't heard about the Michigan flooding. That's so awful when things like that happen. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-24-2020 at 03:55 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 05-24-2020, 02:16 AM

Hope you get your power back soon...a new machine is always so much fun to play with. I hope it’s everything you need to complete your quilts projects. Congratulations
Old 05-24-2020, 02:24 AM

I'm a teacher and I often tell people the most intimidating thing in the world is a blank piece of paper. Often you don't know where to start. I get that vibe from you and new machine. Just stick some scrap fabric or loose FQ under there and start sewing. Make some 4 patches. 9 patches. A flying goose or 4. Applique some circles. Do some strip sets and 60 degree triangles. All these fundamental blocks that you how to do. Just play.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-24-2020 at 03:56 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 05-24-2020, 03:19 AM

Use your machine and learn all its wornderful features. I bought a Babylock Aria last year, and love having all the auto features. We lived in Midland, Michigan 50 years ago and my DD was born there. We lived within the city limits, my DH was installing the computer system at Dow Chemical. We lived there just a year, but loved the nice town and friendly people. Devastating to know that has all been washed away.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:38 AM
Power Poster

You will eventually enjoy that machine, I'm sure. Right now, seems like we are living in a dystopia, and nothing feels right. Take your time getting into your new machine.

My friend finally bought one of those "small footprint" longarm machines and let it sit collecting dust for over 6 months before she touched it. For some people, it's a big hurdle to learn a new machine and a new system. Just take your time!
Old 05-24-2020, 12:40 PM

Enjoy your new machine! About two years I upgraded and it was hard for me to start on the newer machine -- I felt like I was cheating on my first love!